Is this a Threading Chuck?

intrepid

Registered
Registered
I got this chuck with a South Bend 9" lathe. I'm guessing its some king of threading chuck but what for? It seems too big for the 9" lathe.IMG_0603.jpgIMG_0604.jpgIMG_0605.jpg

Thread chasing diehead . ;) Md 'eh ? What parts ?

Die box, for turret or capstan lathe.

Edit: Not what I thought it was, does the same job though.
Chuck for screw machine or threading machine.

Last edited:
Thats all I have with it. Is it worth anything or is it scrap?

Need chasers for different size threads .

wow, that's a big boy. Probably a bit too big to be useful on a SB9, but would probably be useful to someone. Not sure of the make, but if you can find that you can see how common the chasers are (the bolted on bits that cut the threads). They're fun little doodads though, I was pretty sad to sell my 5/16 Geometric head simply because of how mechanically cool it was.

Looks like a Landis die head. Not the easiest to change chasers, but many other advantages such as ease of sharpening chasers and using them on different diameters. They had one where I used to work that was used to thread 2-1/4" rebar with 4-1/2 TPI right over the ribs with 3 passes, I think.

You are correct benmychree. It is a Landis and appears to be in good shape. Its a heavy beast but I just cannot think where I would use it now or in the future. I suppose I will just hang onto it until I come across someone who may be interested or maybe trade.

Back