Is there such a thing as arbor adaptor?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have a used Albrecht chuck that I recieved from a kind member here (Bill/bfd) it wasn't too hard to get it cleaned up ,it now has a new collar, ready to be used but now I'm planning on mounting it on my Ridgid drill press ,here comes the problem: the hole is too too small for the drill press arbor, the way it is ,it can not be used with my DP.

The Albrecht chuck has a J6 hole and the drill press arbor is JT#3, I was thinking if I had an adaptor that had a JT3 hole on one end and J6 arbor on the other end, it would work, I looked on ebay and a couple of other places but couldn't find anything like that.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to mount a J6 chuck to aJT3 arbor? another possibility is to remove the arbor from the drill press and put it on a lathe and machine the end to a J6 but I can't do that job,don't have enough experience to do it plus I don't have a lathe .
If any of you could machine an adaptor for me I'll be more than happy to cover the cost, this pic below is more or less what I'm talking about:
$_57.JPG
I see all kinds f arbors but noone seems to make the adaptors unless I have been looking at the wrong places.
Can you help/
Thanks.

Is the drill press arbor a permanent part of the spindle or does it come out, maybe with a Morse #2 taper in the drill press spindle?

Is the drill press arbor a permanent part of the spindle or does it come out, maybe with a Morse #2 taper in the drill press spindle?
Bob, the arbor does come apart but the only thing that can be done to it is to machine the business end of it so it can fit in a J6 hole.
DP15501-1.png

Your's is what Bob meant by a permanent part of the spindle. What he was getting at is older heavy duty drill presses have arbor sockets, usually morse taper so they can be swapped out.

I've never heard of Jacobs taper adaptors like how you want. Don't seem practical & I doubt they exist. Making one is not quick & easy. It would need to be a precision made part, ground finish.

Your's is what Bob meant by a permanent part of the spindle. What he was getting at is older heavy duty drill presses have arbor sockets, usually morse taper so they can be swapped out.

I've never heard of Jacobs taper adaptors like how you want. Don't seem practical & I doubt they exist. Making one is not quick & easy. It would need to be a precision made part, ground finish.
I understood what Bob was saying,there's another (newer Ridgid model) type that the arbor is short and can be knocked out with a drill drift,the older one that I have is permanent .
DP15000_WW_1.gif
DZ, you are right, I haven't seen the adaptor I'm looking for, anywhere but I thought maybe someone else with the same dilemma had come up with a shop made adaptor, it is possible to make one though ,at least in theory.

I haven't seen anyone do it but of course doesn't mean it can't be done. If you do make or get one made, please be sure to post pics!

Is it possible to interchange spindles between your machine and the "better" spindles with a Morse taper? If the spindles are otherwise the same then pulling it out is fairly simple. It would also be a good time to change for better spindle and drive sleeve bearings. Something to think about.

I have a NOS Chinese made "Albrecht" drill chuck that has a No. 3 Jacobs taper in it. I think I can get the shank off of it. Two problems though. One is, the capacity of the chuck is something like 3/16" to 3/4". And two, how to ship to Canada? Without going thru all the paper work? It's yours for the asking.... Ken

Edit: I don't have it any more. I forgot, it went to a new home last year. Sorry. Ken

Is it possible to interchange spindles between your machine and the "better" spindles with a Morse taper? If the spindles are otherwise the same then pulling it out is fairly simple. It would also be a good time to change for better spindle and drive sleeve bearings. Something to think about.
Mike, it is possible but the cost of replacing the spindle is the deal breaker, of course if I had access to a newer Ridgid DP,I would try to swap the spindles.

The JT3 taper is you all know, is bigger in overall diameter than Albrecht's J6 hole which means the best(most logical) option seems to be to machine the JT3 down to fit the smaller J6 taper .
BTW, Thank you Mike , appreciate your comments as always.

I have a NOS Chinese made "Albrecht" drill chuck that has a No. 3 Jacobs taper in it. I think I can get the shank off of it. Two problems though. One is, the capacity of the chuck is something like 3/16" to 3/4". And two, how to ship to Canada? Without going thru all the paper work? It's yours for the asking.... Ken

Edit: I don't have it any more. I forgot, it went to a new home last year. Sorry. Ken
That's alright Ken, as they say, it's the thought that counts, thank you all the same.

Back