Is there a preferred method for attaching a drill chuck to a tapered arbor?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
In attaching a drill chuck to a tapered arbor, I read that some people heat the chuck . Is this a good way to do it to prevent slippage?

Thanks,

Nelson

I usually just tap the arbor into the chuck with a brass hammer. Some guys like to use a little loc-tite before putting them together. I do them dry.

Charlie W.

I just set the chuck on the table and run the quill down and gave a good tug on the quill handle and it's been no there for over 5 years. If I used the heat I would still run the quill down and then lock it in place and leave it set till it cooled.

Jim Geib

First and foremost MOST IMPORTANT open the chuck jaws up until they are inside the body of the chuck. If any driving force is applied to the jaws, they will get broken!

Now if the arbour is attached to a drill press, or other machine then the mounting will be slightly differnent than if the arour and chuck are loose.

As Paddy stated, make sure both pieces are surgically clean, check for any nicks or burrs and stone them off. If in doubt use a sharpie or prussian blue and check for a good seat, but clean up the bluing before putting them together.

I prefer to set them with a press if the two parts are loose, so I will slide the two mating surfaces together, place them on the platten of the arbour press with the chuck body down, making sure that everything is staright and true, and then bring the press ram down with a quick jerk motion.

If we are dealiing with a arbour that is still in the machine, then again, clean, deburr and place the chuck on the arbour. Next take a block of hardwood, and using the endgrain against the chuck and a decently heavy persuader ( couple pound hammer or deadblow etc) , give the chuck body a good rap.

Do not stike the chuck body with or on a steel object. Use end grain hardwood, brass or similar to protect the chuck from damage.

You can freeze the arbour and slightly warm up the chuck body, and follow the same seating procedure which will give help in circumstances where you are going to abuse the chuck.

I did have one hand held B&D Drill where the chuck was a Jacobs taper, and that one I ended up using red loctite. That chuck has never come off again and that was over 20 years ago, and that drill is not babied in use.

Walter

Last edited:
Back