Is ebay for Millionaires?

fernballan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought this for 500 SKR about 50 dollars and they are sell a similar on ebay for 2995 dollars
I have to start selling on ebay

fullsizeoutput_6c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_69.jpeg

Did you do an advanced search including items that have sold, or just look at the asking prices for those currently listed? Several months ago I was looking for a 24' x 36" Challenge surface plate. There were a couple listed for $1,200.00 and $1,500.00. When I did an advanced search there were several that sold for between $100.00 and $200.00, but none above $400.00. So the asking price isn't necessarily the selling price.

A few other examples. Several years ago there was a vendor selling used end mills. He bundled them in lots of 30 with an asking price of $10,000.00 or best offer. That's not a typo the asking price was ten thousand dollars or best offer. Needless to say I doubt he ever sold anything at the asking price. However there are those uneducated few that probably paid more that what it would cost to buy them new, and thought they got a real deal.

I've also seen power hacksaw blades at double the price of the same ones sold by industrial suppliers. One vendor also included the OBO suffix so I offered the current list price. He replied back he was insulted by the offer and countered with a price of $.50 less than the original asking price. I replied with a link to the list prices of 2 industrial supply houses. Not only did the blades not sell they were relisted weeks later at an even higher price.

I recently purchased 10 bearings to rebuild a drive system on a lathe. There were asking prices from $129.00 each to less than $10.00 each. I went with a company that sold them for less than $16.00 each and offered returns if not as advertised.

The moral is buyer beware. Vendors can ask anything they want. It's up to the buyer to know the true value of the items, and limit their offers to reasonable amounts. My rule of thumb is to pay 25% to 40% of new prices if the product is in "new" or "new other" condition. The only time I'll go above that is if the vendor offers a guarantee and will pay for items to be returned if not in the condition described. It's foolish to pay the same or more than you would from a reputable industrial supply house and have no guarantee of usability

Some things are way over priced on eBay. That said you got one sweet deal almost as if you stole it. :congrats:

Some things are way over priced on eBay. That said you got one sweet deal almost as if you stole it. :congrats:
Yes its was listed wrong it was listed as a projector

Just the same in the UK, compared to 4years ago, the prices have more than doubled, to the point where no one really looks on ebay any more, lots of silly prices, but not as many sales, it is not the only auction site! What a sucess story though, I can remember as a mad keen real auction goer, when if first appeared on the net, I shot over to my cousins to tell him about it, only to find almost all the caergories where completely empty!

Just the same in the UK, compared to 4years ago, the prices have more than doubled, to the point where no one really looks on ebay any more, lots of silly prices, but not as many sales, it is not the only auction site! What a sucess story though, I can remember as a mad keen real auction goer, when if first appeared on the net, I shot over to my cousins to tell him about it, only to find almost all the caergories where completely empty!
Have you purchased anything from this auction company http://www.1stmachineryauctions.com

Ebay isn't what it used to be. Getting harder and harder to find good deals. Last few items I have bought were on regular store sites. I do occassionally find some deals on ebay. But nothing like it used to be. Too many looking to get almost new price for something used. When I see something I need that is close to the new price but is used I will just buy new from the store. And I always check prices at stores before looking on ebay.

The other thing to look atis the shipping charge. I have seen things with a low price to buy but the shippng was out of this world.
yes especially when you live in northern Sweden How is treatment going?

How is treatment going?

Treatment could be better. The chemo drug they are giving me seems to eliminate the pain. But it lowers my white blood cells too much so they can't give it to me as often as they would like. They could give me a drug to build up my immune system but it effects the kidneys and I already have kidney problems because of the first chemo drug. But as I said it does eliminate the pain so must be doing something. Not sure when they are going to do another scan to see if it is shrinking the tumor at all. Will ask when I go on the 4th for treatment.

Back