Is an X2 type milling machine enough mill...

Can I ask what your priorities are - is it size, cost, rigidity or ... ? The reason I ask is because the projects you linked to (not sure which one you intend to make from the first link) should work on most mini-mills so anything is fair game. To home in on the right mill for you, you have to define things better.

For a bench top hobby mill, I suggest thinking about:
  • Z-travel: this determines how big you can go, not so much table size. Just the vise alone will chew up some of this space so the more you have, the better.
  • Table travel in X and Y: this determines how big you can go, too.
  • HP: the more, the better. For a hobby mill, I think about 1HP is the least I would go.
  • Spindle mount: R8 spindles allow you to use the vast majority of the accessories on the market.
  • Spindle speeds: the higher, the better. A VS motor is really nice to have but if not then gears/pulleys that allow you to go real slow for big cutters and real fast for smaller cutters is good.
  • Mass: I think the minimum would be somewhere in the 400# range. Mass makes a difference, especially when taking deeper cuts and when boring.
  • Spindle travel: 5" is better, although 3" would be more common on smaller mills.
  • Spindle bearings: precision tapered roller bearings is better than cheap, Chinese bearings.
Personally, the smallest mill I would even consider would be the PM-727M. It is big enough and featured enough to meet the needs of most hobby shops at a fair price. Of course, there are bigger/better mills but I would look at this as a good entry level machine.

By the way, I own a Sherline 5400 mill and it is much, much better than its size would suggest. I would put it up against much larger mini-mills, especially where accuracy is concerned. However, it is a small machine and trust me; mass tells.

Yes, a larger machine is called for in doing those projects that I listed and rigidity is the priority that I am looking for at this point. Definitely do not want a machine that has a column that "rotates" as does the Taig . I am not saying that the Taig (and Sherline) are not good machines for the small model work that they were evidently intended for - they are good when put to suitable work, but the projects I have in mind call for much more mass. I am just trying to get a handle on how heavy a machine that I 'must' go with in order to get acceptable results. Thanks so much for your input. I will look into the PM-727M you mentioned.

That clarifies things, no need to be sensitive; I thought I made it clear "that no disrespect was intended". Thanks for your input.
I'M NOT BEING SENSITIVE YOU'RE BEING SENSITIVE!!! lol :D

Sorry i wasn't much help though.

Yes, a larger machine is called for in doing those projects that I listed and rigidity is the priority that I am looking for at this point. Definitely do not want a machine that has a column that "rotates" as does the Taig . I am not saying that the Taig (and Sherline) are not good machines for the small model work that they were evidently intended for - they are good when put to suitable work, but the projects I have in mind call for much more mass. I am just trying to get a handle on how heavy a machine that I 'must' go with in order to get acceptable results. Thanks so much for your input. I will look into the PM-727M you mentioned.

Seems like no matter what you choose, you'll always need a bigger machine at some point ... sad, but true. I think the 727 is a nice entry level machine and it should allow you to handle those projects you linked to without issues. A milling machine is where going bigger is almost always better. I do not feel that way about lathes but for mills, mass counts.

Yeah, I know the Sherline mill is a tiny machine but I like it anyway. It handled everything I needed it to do for over 20 years until I stepped up to a bigger machine. Now I realize that bigger/more rigid/faster is better. So is spindle accuracy and adequate speed. I still use the Sherline a lot, especially when I need to work on really small stuff but I like my bigger mill better for most things.

Good luck to you!

Back