Is a die filing machine usefull in the home shop?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi Guys,
my buddy who buys and sells machines told me he has a die filing machine on a stand. I do not know the brand, but he says it does not appear to have been used much, mostly because it is a precision secound operation machine, pr something like that.
What do you guys think?
thanks,
jon

Sure theyre neat. and you can rig a saw blade onto some for a makeshift scroll/band saw. I just bought one... havent used it once and I am pleased.

I love my die filers. They can file straight edges or contours very accurately. They will look like they were ground . Die filer files are expensive. I most often have used a 6" half round bastard file set in the machine upside down. My Butterfly filer will take the front end of the file if I grind a little off the edges of the front end. You can buy files made in England for them,but at about $25.00 each,I often use regular files when I can use parallel sided files. Chainsaw files work well. You need an overhead arm to support the files so they won't lean back under pressure. Some small die filers use 4" files,and do not have overhead arms. Most larger bench size machines use 8" files.

Sure theyre neat. and you can rig a saw blade onto some for a makeshift scroll/band saw. I just bought one... havent used it once and I am pleased.
What is a good or fair price for a working in good condition die filer worth. My buddy is asking 300-350 and not sure what it comes with.

Thanks,
Jon

100-150 depending. if he,s selling one for 300, i'll send you mkine for 200

100-150 depending. if he,s selling one for 300, i'll send you mkine for 200
Thanks , but i think the freight would make up the difference. He lives 5 minutes away from me.
Thanks ,
Jon

Ok 150 then :)
300 is very high, but it might be a rare german thiel. Small die filers like butterflies and olivers get about 150 cause of guys like us (and the are so darn cute). standing ones are usually worth scrap, most hobby guys dont want beacause cause they take up room, are heavy/harder to move around.

Hi Guys,
my buddy who buys and sells machines told me he has a die filing machine on a stand. I do not know the brand, but he says it does not appear to have been used much, mostly because it is a precision secound operation machine, pr something like that.
What do you guys think?
thanks,
jon

I love my Butterfly- another one that is a pleasure just to turn on.
$300 better be mint, come with files, and on original stand of some kind.

... Or something pretty special in some other way.

Bernie

This is a VALUABLE TIP: Die filers all run too FAST,and they wear out files quickly. Files,like any other metal cutting tool,must not be run too fast,and they are carbon steel,too,even worse for speed. And,die filers will snap metal back down on the table,pinching your fingers.

I put a little 1/2 h.p. motor on 2 of mine,with speed controllers. It was like magic. The filers can run at a much slower speed,not pinching your fingers and greatly saving the life of the file. This is REALLY worth doing.

This is a VALUABLE TIP: Die filers all run too FAST,and they wear out files quickly. Files,like any other metal cutting tool,must not be run too fast,and they are carbon steel,too,even worse for speed. And,die filers will snap metal back down on the table,pinching your fingers

Are you specifically talking about filing steel? I'll probably continue using mine on nonferrous stuff - brass, shell, bone, ivory, etc. Wouldn't I want to keep the speed up for those things?

Back