Is A Dc Motor Reversible

dbassing

Registered
Registered
Hello all,
I found a treadmill that was being discarded and since I have been contemplating using a DC motor and controller to run my Powermatic 14" I brought it home. Plugged it in and all the functions worked. I stripped all the electronics, being careful to mark and record all the connections.

The motor is a 2 HP permanent magnet DC motor made by GS Electric. The rotation is clockwise as viewed from looking at the shaft end. I would like to install it under the saw in place of the current single phase 3/4 HP but the DC motor should be turning counter clockwise. Is this possible? There is a motor controller.

Thanks,
David

yes they are but run better in the one direction than the other, most of them the brushes are set in at a angle, when reversing them they are going against the angle

Thank you.
I reversed the red and black leads and now it runs counter clockwise. Simple. The brushes are mounted perpendicular to the axis of the armature so i don't think there should be any problem with it turning in reverse.
Again, thanks.
David

it may not be an issue,
but a caution to consider is arcing of the DC motor possibly setting fire to dust particles in a confined area.

i really like the idea of a speed controlled saw, i hope it works out well!:)

In theory they are reversible without an issue but in practice you might run into long term reliability issues. One issue is with the brushes as mentioned by Kernbigo.
The cooling fan direction might be an issue as well. Depending on the design the motor might overheat or suck in carbon dust in to the bearing. It is not always the case and it sure is not going to set your house on fire right away but it is something to watch out for.

I can't think of any other issues.

Sent from my SM-T532 using Tapatalk

Back