Is A 6" Vice Too Big For A Pm 932m

Hozzie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I ordered a PM 932M last week. I now need to get a vice. Matt was out of his 5" vices and I think I want something bigger than a 4".

I know most like the Kurt Vices and there is a D688 6" on their scratch and dent site. I have also looked at a 5" Glacern and am open to others which are a fair amount less. I do normally subscribe to the buy once/cry once theory, but for me it is about value, not just spending the most. I would rather pay 75% the price for 90-95% of the same quality/function than 100% for 100% if that makes sense. I am just a hobbyist so I suspect many of them would be ok for me.

Anyway, is a 6" vice too big for the 932? I still and leaning towards a 5" unless there is some big advantage. I just know many like the Kurt vices.

Thanks.

I have a 5" Glacern on my Rockwell, and it fits great.

you will not go wrong with a Kurt!
a 6" may be a little bit big, but shouldn't be regarded as a deal breaker for a quality vise.

I respectfully disagree with Ulma Doctor, I've had my 932 for almost a year now, and feel that a 6" vise would be too big. Even the 5" Homge from Matt hangs off the front of the table a bit. I've heard good things about the Glacern 5" vise. Having said all this, I should also say that I have never used a Kurt, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Good luck with the 932M, I'm still thrilled with mine, JR49

Thanks everyone. I think I will go with the 5" Glacern. I have read nothing but good reviews and the price seems reasonable.

IMG_20170528_194012631.jpg Just trying to understand the lingo here. My 6" Shars just about covers my cross slide & does indeed hang out in front & back. Height has always been my battle while using benchtop machines.

Back