1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

inverted v templates

Discussion in 'MACHINE RESTORATION & WAY SCRAPING' started by expressline99, Jun 3, 2017.

1. expressline99

expressline99 H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

OK great I will see if I can get a 6"

Paul

2. astjp2

astjp2 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Pleasant View
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

A 12" . 0005 per foot level is plenty accurate and precise enough to level your plate. Without a good foundation isolation pad, your concrete floor will move the plate more than that.

3. expressline99

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

I ordered the Shars 8" .0005 level. I am picking up 2" .120 square tubing to build my stand Monday. At least with the level and a 3 point support system I should be able to check it occasionally and fix any movement that happens. I've got to do the same with my lathe once I have the chip pan done....and the mill also. I hope to scrape both in but I will need some large squares also to get that done. After I make the straight edges. If I got done this year with one machine I'd be happy. :)

Paul

Dabbler likes this.
  4. Dresden

Dresden United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    St Paul

-Return to Top-

We used to call this a Gasoline overhaul, clean, flake, paint

Bob Korves and 4gsr like this.
  5. ziptie

ziptie United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Madison
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

You can do a lot using the tailstock base, a precision level and an indicator.

Bob Korves likes this.
  6. expressline99

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

Just out of total curiosity what is a foundation isolation pad? I don't have that I've got a 43+ year old concrete floor that isn't level. :)

7. expressline99

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

I can tell you the logan and the bridgeport didn't get any kind of overhaul. :) the BP was a total mess and still going. But until you guys told me about it I wouldn't have guessed people did this.

8. expressline99

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

Getting closer everyday. The replacement level is here(first one was broken in shipping) and I got an indicator base that is adjustable enough to get where I need it...I think.

Bob Korves likes this.
  9. expressline99

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

It should be known that reading the Connelly book will warp your mind...at least it has mine. Now I've got this twisted thought process that is a datum point chain of surfaces interlinked into cumulative errors. Any of which could be multiplied by missing anything on your own test record...if you don't continuously update it and recheck constantly. The lathe not so bad on interlinked points if you follow standard operating procedures in getting it back to proper alignment...flatness and parallelism. Scrape straight down...not a problem if you do that everywhere based on all nearby points of reference. The mill TOTALLY different amount of points of reference and various datum collection areas and how it can end up way off down the chain if you are not careful! &)

Paul

4gsr and Bob Korves like this.
  10. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Agreed, Paul. Taking shortcuts or using an ill advised sequence of operations when trying to get a mill geometrically correct will only make it more difficult to achieve and less likely to succeed in the end. Everything affects everything else. All corrective work must start from the machine datum point, in the case of your vertical mill the column face. Trying to fix a problem by working where it is first discovered will only make things worse overall and waste time and effort. Things work out better if you get each surface tested correct and finished in the proper order before moving on to the next one.

British Steel, expressline99 and 4gsr like this.