«Inverted aircraft back spot facers» ???

Ok, now I am confused. Say you have a 1/2" hole and you need to counter bore it from the back inside a cavity that you can't get to from the back. How do you get the 3/4" D cutter for the counter bore through the 1/2" D hole?

Perhaps you need to counterbore inside a square tube. You obviously can't get at the spot with the mill, but you can reach in there and put the cutter on the arbor sticking through (you really want to make the engineer who designed the part do that, though.)

Perhaps you need to counterbore inside a square tube. You obviously can't get at the spot with the mill, but you can reach in there and put the cutter on the arbor sticking through (you really want to make the engineer who designed the part do that, though.)

Explained this way I can see where these types of cutters would be a help. For some reason I was envisioning a blind hole inside something. My mind plays tricks on me at times.

Chuck

These type of cutters in the aircraft industry are used for repairs on lug fittings (such as clevis hinge supports), or spot facing the back side of parts where you have no access to use a right angle or straight drill from the one side. Generally you will find wear or corrosion from a hat bushing on the inboard side of the lug and you are required to remove the damage with a spotface to leave a flat surface for the new hat bushing to seat on. You can use the opposite lug as a support to keep the spot face parallel to the lug surface. It's certainly not the best way to spot face large lugs, but for on aircraft repairs you don't have much choice (can't disassemble certain lugs without having the OEM production jigs to reinstall).

One guy on the outside making all the noise and the poor guy inside the can getting beat on. That is how airplanes are riveted together.
Pierre

been there , done both. wish they had ipods back then

One guy on the outside making all the noise and the poor guy inside the can getting beat on. That is how airplanes are riveted together.
Pierre

lol, been there! helped on an rv6 fuse, rather work around boilermakers hot riveting.

i remember the headache.

Also depending on the size of counterbore required you can grind an em down in diameter so its like a keycutter and go from the top but you are limited by the dia of the hole and how much you can grind from the dia of the tool

Back