«Inverted aircraft back spot facers» ???

I'm gonna guess these are for spot facing the back side of a honeycomb/composite panel that you cant get to with an angle motor but have some space to get your fingers in there. You would put the cutter on the back side then run the arbor through the hole. Just a guess

I use one to put a counterbore for a screwhead in comm heads for airplane starter generators. Its the only way i can counterbore the part the rest is done in cnc machines but no way to fit a tool to counterbore a hole sometimes. The tools mandrel goes in a collet in a bridgeport the part is clamped down in vise then put the mandrel down thru the hole then put cutter on mandrel and turn it has a cam that keeps it locked on then turn spindle on and pull up on handle to counterbore then stop spindle take cutter off mandrel and pull spindle up out of hole. It takes alot of time and i rarely use it i have another type of tool that works for most counterbores but once in a while its the only thing that fits

I'm gonna guess these are for spot facing the back side of a honeycomb/composite panel that you cant get to with an angle motor but have some space to get your fingers in there. You would put the cutter on the back side then run the arbor through the hole. Just a guess

Charley is not guessing. They are used to do machine work on the opposite side of a through hole. When the only or best access is from the one side you started from. The cutters just slip over the shaft and with a 90° turn (or about) lock in place on the shaft.

Ok, now I am confused. Say you have a 1/2" hole and you need to counter bore it from the back inside a cavity that you can't get to from the back. How do you get the 3/4" D cutter for the counter bore through the 1/2" D hole?

To counter sink the back from the front, when you can't get anything big in the back. Most aircraft assembly / rivet work usually takes two people..

One guy on the outside making all the noise and the poor guy inside the can getting beat on. That is how airplanes are riveted together.
Pierre

Ok, now I am confused. Say you have a 1/2" hole and you need to counter bore it from the back inside a cavity that you can't get to from the back. How do you get the 3/4" D cutter for the counter bore through the 1/2" D hole?

You don’t, can’t do it. As the saying goes “don’t paint yourself into a corner you can’t get out of when you’re done.” Plan ahead! I typically, will toss the idea around in my head for maybe a day or two before I make a chip/saw dust. Comparing my first thought on how to make it as to the day(s) of planning it out, I will amaze myself at how easy it was to make after thinking about it first. And I’m in no hurry either, haste makes waste…Good Luck.

Back