Introduction - New member

Reactions: Z2V
Jim,

I deleted your duplicate past at the top.

The illustrated parts list for the 101.07403 is available as a .PDF in the Atlas/Craftsman area in Downloads. Before looking for it, read the Downloads usage instructions that are in the Sticky area near the top of this Forum.

The other book that you should have to go with the 101.07403 is the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operation... It is unfortunately not available in Downloads because of Copyright issues (the 33rd Edition is still available new from Clausing). However, the version that you actually want is one of the many Copyright 1937 editions. Atlas did not start to put the print year and edition number on the Copyright page until the 16th Edition 1954/55. And that edition is better for the later QCGB equipped 101.27430 and 27440. The earlier ones are often available on eBay in the typical price range of $25 to $35. But the sellers seldom know enough about what they are selling to include a photo of the first page in Part 7 - Threading. So you usually have to write and ask them whether that page mentions the Atlas F-series Ten Inch or the Sears Master Craftsman. You want the latter. If Part 7 - Threading has no pages bound in and the seller is not including the separate Supplement for the Sears Master Craftsman, skip it and keep looking. There is a Molo History document in Downloads that explains all of this in more detail.

Hi Robert, Could you tell me what time frame the 101.07403 was made thanks. thomas s

Sure. 1940 (catalog year, so probably from late 1939) through early or mid 1957.

If you have occasion to pull the spindle, be sure to record and report the dates and your machine's Serial Number. There is a thread at the top of the Forum for doing that in. The dates are actually the bearing inspection dates but they are our best method for dating an Atlas built lathe (up through about 1957, anyway). If you aren't going to pull the spindle, if you report the model and serial number, I'll give you a best guess on year of manufacture based on other reported dates.

Hi Jim, welcome. Have fun with your mechanical beastie. Beware of Ebay; Atlas parts are often way overpriced. Be patient and shop around.
Mark S.

Jim,

I deleted your duplicate past at the top.

The illustrated parts list for the 101.07403 is available as a .PDF in the Atlas/Craftsman area in Downloads. Before looking for it, read the Downloads usage instructions that are in the Sticky area near the top of this Forum.

The other book that you should have to go with the 101.07403 is the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operation... It is unfortunately not available in Downloads because of Copyright issues (the 33rd Edition is still available new from Clausing). However, the version that you actually want is one of the many Copyright 1937 editions. Atlas did not start to put the print year and edition number on the Copyright page until the 16th Edition 1954/55. And that edition is better for the later QCGB equipped 101.27430 and 27440. The earlier ones are often available on eBay in the typical price range of $25 to $35. But the sellers seldom know enough about what they are selling to include a photo of the first page in Part 7 - Threading. So you usually have to write and ask them whether that page mentions the Atlas F-series Ten Inch or the Sears Master Craftsman. You want the latter. If Part 7 - Threading has no pages bound in and the seller is not including the separate Supplement for the Sears Master Craftsman, skip it and keep looking. There is a Molo History document in Downloads that explains all of this in more detail.

Thank you for cleaning up the threads! I've got both of the documents you mentioned (in PDF) as well as quite a few others.
Was close to getting the "618" going, but we moved and it (and parts) are in storage right now.

Jim

Sure. 1940 (catalog year, so probably from late 1939) through early or mid 1957.

If you have occasion to pull the spindle, be sure to record and report the dates and your machine's Serial Number. There is a thread at the top of the Forum for doing that in. The dates are actually the bearing inspection dates but they are our best method for dating an Atlas built lathe (up through about 1957, anyway). If you aren't going to pull the spindle, if you report the model and serial number, I'll give you a best guess on year of manufacture based on other reported dates.

I've read through that thread (most at least). Mentioned in the first post - 101.07403 (Serial # 6069 S) - The current belt is in good shape and don't see any other reasons for tearing into the headstock so dates may be way in the future! Checked the spindle runout at well less than 5/10s so I'm feeling pretty good about this so far.

Jim

Thanks Robert, I found the label on the bed it only has 10107403 where would the serial number be on the lathe? thomas s

Thanks Robert, I found the label on the bed it only has 10107403 where would the serial number be on the lathe? thomas s

Far right corner on top of the way nearest to you.

Jim

Back