Interstate Taps

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have to buy a 1/2-10 LH Acme Tandem Tap. Before I spend what MSC wants for one I would appreciate any info on Interstate. They are made in the U.S.A. If you look it up, don't let the price scare you. Tandem Taps are expensive.

"Billy G"

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/74693615

I have to buy a 1/2-10 LH Acme Tandem Tap. Before I spend what MSC wants for one I would appreciate any info on Interstate. They are made in the U.S.A. If you look it up, don't let the price scare you. Tandem Taps are expensive.

"Billy G"

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/74693615

I can't speak to the quality of Interstate taps but their HSS end mills are as good as some of the "name" brands.

Tom S.

Bill, I purchase Interstate brand cutters, drills and taps from Rex Supply in Corpus Christi and have had pretty good luck with them. Never used a tap like you are talking about though. In fact, they ran a 50% off sale last fall and I bought several carbide cutters.

If they run another sale before I buy let me know. LOL If it's quality it's worth what they want, I'm just not sure.

"Billy G"

Bill this ends tonight at 12:00 pm so hurry 40% off at MSC plus free ground shipping:

Enter Promo Code: VIP40E | Offer Valid 1/23/17

I have purchased many interstate taps, dies, end mills. All have been good quality.Many made in America, Japan, Brazil, Poland and Czechoslovakia. Never had to return any. Some are China but look to be good quality.

Before I spend what MSC wants for one I would appreciate any info on Interstate.

Interstate is another MSC brand just like Accupro, Hertel, Jupitor Pneumatics, etc. Usually only sold by Enco & MSC of course but not limited to. They're usually just rebranded, someone else makes the product & the name is put on it just like Blue Point (Snap On).

Most is import which brings the price down. Some items can be cheap crap, some decent, & some good. So as a brand, Interstate's quality is all over the board. I have noticed that in general the Interstate brand is more affordable import stuff, the other MSC brands like Hertel & Accupro generally have great quality. I have some Interstate stuff & can't complain.

I clicked on the link for the tap but it doesn't show as an Interstate brand for me though.

I did a quick search, North American Tool seems to be a common mfg for this tap. Since it's listed as Made USA at MSC it might be what the brand will be.

MSC's price of $85.25 is not bad. Mcmaster is $84.15. Victor is $94. No idea on brand or COO though. Most other suppliers are in the $120+ range.

Have used Acme tandem taps in the past, they work very well, a bit freighetning at first due to the length. essentially a 60 degree thread followed by a full form Acme thread. if you happen to have a 60 Deg. tap lying around use that first then follow with a single Acme tap, same thing.

Back