Interstate Product Line Opinions Needed

jclouden

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been ordering from Enco for some time and am very pleased with their products and service. I have, for the most part, kept with brand names familiar to me and stayed away from obvious made in China imports. I recently tried some Interstate parting tools and they worked very well for me and I am wondering what type of experiences others have had with Interstate products. Right now I am primarily interested in tap & die sets, drills and other cutting tools. I appreciate any responses, pro or con.

Jon

I have been ordering from Enco for some time and am very pleased with their products and service. I have, for the most part, kept with brand names familiar to me and stayed away from obvious made in China imports. I recently tried some Interstate parting tools and they worked very well for me and I am wondering what type of experiences others have had with Interstate products. Right now I am primarily interested in tap & die sets, drills and other cutting tools. I appreciate any responses, pro or con.

Jon
I have had mixed luck with Chinese "branded" tooling. Sometimes it is good, sometimes not. And it is random. It seems like a main area of problems is with quality control, making sure products are properly tested and inspected before they go out the door. But that costs money, and they are building to a price point. I used to say to NEVER buy Chinese cutting tools. But, I have got some very good Interstate end mills and collets, and other good products as well. In the past I bought a Chinese 113 piece drill set and it was just awful. A few Chinese taps and dies that I have got in tool lots I have purchased were also junk. The last thing you want to do is to break off a stuck tap deep in a blind hole as the last operation of a complicated and fussy project. So, for the moment, and I will be listening to what others have to say, branded end mills and other tooling sometimes yes, drills, taps, and dies, no way...

I've had very good luck with interstate drills, taps,dies and reamers. They are sharp and cut like they are supposed to. As said by Bob Korves it is a mixed bag as to the quality of the entire line of interstate products. Enco doesn't pay for return shipping so pay attention to any reviews on the products you are thinking of buying. I would not hesitate to purchase the brand. Just my opinion of course.

I have had good luck with Interstate drills, end mills, and taps.

I've used Interstate end mills and reamers. I have no complaints. Getting ready to order some more end mills.

Tom S.

I really like the TIN coated cobalt end mills as well as the reamers. All of my roughers are Interstate. I don't have anything carbide from them, don't know if they have carbide because I fell into a couple hundred brand name carbide end mills from an estate sell.
Dave

How about the other Interstate lines that Enco sells? Like the boring heads, tool holders, etc....????? Any experience with those?

I appreciate all the responses. It seems that there is no sure consensus on this so I decided to order some individual pieces that I need and try them before I order any complete sets.
Thanks,
Jon

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

As stated above quality control is the issue, spending 10X more for a tool that will perform the same way as the previous tool is priceless when making many parts. As an example one might buy an inexpensive tap and make hundreds of excellent threaded holes over years of hobby use, eventually it will become dull and need to be replaced. One purchases a new one from the same supplier, same manufacturer and same price yet will not work as before under the same conditions. This has been my experience with low priced tools over the years, hit or miss.

Lots of opinions on Enco's Interstate brand kind of hit or miss depending on what you are buying, BUT on something like taps is it worth the gamble. You can pay about 25% brand and get much better quality that is much more likely to work well and have durability. Taps in particular, I just do not take any chances anymore, they also fatigue with use, so they have a finite lifespan even if they are still sharp. I tend to buy the tap sets (taper,plug, bottoming) by Hertel, a little more than the interstate, well worth it, but there are better ones for more $$. I often buy 2 of each size sest, because you are going break one, and want an extra. Most of the "newer" Interstate line is pretty low quality in my experience, ok if used infrequently, but just a small step up from HF. In general, a lot of name brands have sold out to made in China, and the quality/durability has suffered. Look at Fowler, SPI, Jacobs and a host of other companies, whose newer products perform poorly and often do not last. Yes it is hit or miss, maybe work for awhile, but most likely not last or perform as expected.

On cutting tools, I have had similar poor experiences with interstate and other generic cutting tools and inserts, they work for awhile, and then fail. I buy surplus name brand end mills like SGS, they can stay sharp and cut a long time, the cheaper stuff, I can blow through in one project. Same for inserts on my lathe for a parting tool and threading, I noticed a significant difference in durability. Cheaper tools, are not cheap if in the end you are replacing them more frequently. Same goes for drills, I must have a 1/2 dozen of partial and broken drill sets, that just didn't last. Finally broke down and purchased a decent set of Hertel cobalt Jobber's, lasted a long time, and I occasionally replace the ones I burn up. You will also find that when items are on sale at Enco, (get on their mailing list) the price difference is often very close. On my lathe I use mostly Precision Twist drills, and they have worked very well.

Sorry for the rant, but I just can't recommend many of these products that are just rebranded generic Chinese brands and poorly made. I guess a lot comes down to how much you use them and in what materials you work with.

Back