Intermittent cuts - jammed chuck

BillWood

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I've noticed that if I do interrupted cuts then the chuck can be very difficult to remove.

Other people have told me that have similar problems with slitting saws and once when I was trying to make a cog I used a chuck mounted flycutter to cut the valleys between the teeth this also jammed the chuck.

Is there any sense in putting some sort of washer (rubber, cardboard, other) between the chuck and the lathe to try to stop this ? Or is this a silly idea ?

Is there any sense in putting some sort of washer (rubber, cardboard, other) between the chuck and the lathe to try to stop this ? Or is this a silly idea ?

I would think that doing that would make the lathe pretty inaccurate while the ''washer'' is in there. And I'm not sure it would help that much. Performing an interrupted cut is somewhat like using an impact wrench to tighten the chuck, so I'm not sure there is really a work around.

If anybody has a fix, I would be very interested to hear what it is.

I had that problem with my 9X20 jet. It has a 1 1/2-8 spindle thread. I put a .060 Brass Washer between the chuck and spindle, no more problems. As for inaccuracy, none that I am aware of.

"Billy G"

I had that problem with my 9X20 jet. It has a 1 1/2-8 spindle thread. I put a .060 Brass Washer between the chuck and spindle, no more problems. As for inaccuracy, none that I am aware of.

"Billy G"

Thanks Billy,

I will have a go.

Bill

I just use never seize on the surface and the thread it seems to work for me. Ray

Back