Interesting review for new South Bend tool chest

I paid about $80 on Ebay for 2 old used Kennedy's. I've seen used Gerstners on Craig's List for about $200. If you buy one of those, you know what you are getting. The old Kennedy's were American made.

After I read the read the review on the SB toolchest, my first impression was "chinese junk rebadged as South Bend". Then I thought about it, and realized that shipping damage can occur in any product produced anywhere and can go undetected. So that isn't their fault.

What IS inexcusable is filling an imperfection in the wood with wood filler. I imagine they have a bucket of wood filler there in the factory, and, instead of tossing a case where the wood is bad or replacing the wood, they are told to fill it and ship it that way. The worker is only doing what he/she is told. The factory is producing the product at the cost specified by the US customer.

We all know that the chinese would gladly toss the defective chests and only ship the good ones, but that would cost the US producer more money to produce.

The fact that the "new" South Bend has them fill and ship is meaningful, at least to me. Would the "old" South Bend do that? Possibly, but I doubt it.

See:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-new-south-bend-tool-chest-226982/index2.html

"What bothered me when I read HoosierBuddy's post at the beginning of this thread is that Grizzly would put the South Bend name on any product that so clearly does not live up to the standards the name suggests. What a shame! The name "South Bend" should only be reserved for products of the highest quality.

Grizzly may now own the South Bend name, but they clearly have no appreciation for the history and tradition the name implies. "

Agreed.

Best,

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
Back