Installing Dro On Pm 1340 Gt

oldhank60

Registered
Registered
I am getting ready to try and install glass scales onto my 1340GT and I am in need of some help, a few good photo's of glass scales install would help, . I purchased 1340gt over a year ago and it has sat in my garage /shop waiting for me to attend to it. I have had major health problems with multiple surgeries, (9) the stuff they use to put you under have a side effect of scrambling memory and brain... that is one of main reasons I need this help. what was once simple to do now I have to try and remember how. the simpler the better I will be.

thank you for your time and help
Henry

Some pictures of the DRO glass scale installation on a PM1340GT.
Lathe DRO Display.jpg
Lathe DRO Tailstock.jpg
Lathe DRO X axis 1.jpg
Lathe DRO X axis 2.jpg
Lathe DRO X axis 3.jpg
Lathe DRO Y axis 1.jpg
Lathe DRO Y axis 2.jpg
Lathe DRO Y axis 3.jpg
Lathe DRO Y axis 4.jpg
Lathe DRO Y axis 5.jpg
Lathe DRO Y axis 6.jpg

Thanks for posting those! I was going to have some of the guys here take them for him next time they install, but I'm sure these are better than they would turn out

Here's some pictures showing the cross slide scale install. I mounted the scale on a piece of aluminum that spaced the scale out enough I could cut a recess for the lock bolt. The cover also mounts to the spacer. During the setup I used washers and shims to set the height and level of the scale. The read head mount has jacking screws to help in leveling and squaring.

P1030648.JPG
P1030654.JPG
P1030647.JPG
P1030651.JPG
P1030646.JPG
P1030640.JPG
P1030642.JPG

thank you, I will be out in shop tonight working on installing DRO, I ran a dedicated circuit yesterday with earth ground, guessing earth ground is one which goes to ground rod out side, will also install GFCI as receptacle

Henry

Do not plan on using a GFI for the VFD, in my experience they will trip the GFI because of electrical noise being picked up in the wiring. A commercial GFI may be better, but in general they tend to be a problem. Fine for other equipment, just not the VFD. If you get into a bind with installing the VFD, I may be able to help, but as mentioned in your other posting I think a single relay system is the easiest. There may be a way to use the contactors, strip out the high voltage wiring and use them as big relays to switch VFD inputs. But I pulled mine apart a long time ago, I would need to get my hands on one to see how to rewire it.

Not sure if you can edit the title to 1340GT, missing the 4.

is there a set distance that scales need to be away or next to lathe bed or should they be as close to as possible.
what does the reader head look like, once I am sure what reader head looks like and locate where does it mount, I'm thinking is must be on apron somewhere since it has to be the moving part. ( hey I told you my memory is shot, ruined, kaput, un-able to recall learned things, at least hand don't shake and I'm getting better not worse till next surgery in August) I plan on using set of 1-2-3 blocks as spacer to keep lever with bed rail and double check with micrometer, just not sur what distance from rail I should go with,

Here's some pictures showing the cross slide scale install. I mounted the scale on a piece of aluminum that spaced the scale out enough I could cut a recess for the lock bolt. The cover also mounts to the spacer. During the setup I used washers and shims to set the height and level of the scale. The read head mount has jacking screws to help in leveling and squaring.

View attachment 132264 View attachment 132265 View attachment 132266 View attachment 132267 View attachment 132268 View attachment 132269 View attachment 132270

Did mounting plate for reader head on cross slide come with your DRO or did you make it?

My kit from PM came with a mount plate but I wanted to mount the scale with a spacer bar so I could have access to the cross slide lock. I designed a mount based on the scale spacing and the available space.

Back