Installed a water powered sump pump today

I live in an are with a high water table so my sump pump is the most important appliance in my house. I have a battery backup and a generator. I also have a spare pump ready to go if needed.

A couple of things go along with water backup pumps. First, do your local codes allow you to pump sump water into the sewer system. Mine does not because it could overload the system's capacity and back up sewage into other people's homes. Second, if you are allowed to connect you need to prevent cross contamination between your potable water supply and the sewer. Normally that requires an air gap between the two systems. Otherwise you must discharge the pump outdoors.

Eric
Well the original sump pump is plumbed into the city drain, so I did the same with the backup pump.
I have been keeping an eye on the sump level from time to time and very little water actually makes its way into the pit, I would estimate a few gallons a day, so the pump runs perhaps 10-30s, once or twice a day. So were definitely not going to overwhelm the system. The reverse flow valve should prevent cross contamination and the actual supply is controlled by a manual valve and will be off unless the power fails.

I think we're good to go.

Water flow depends on the source of a locality's water. Many (most?) towns depend on a tank at higher elevation than the users. There are exceptions, New York City being a prominant one. Birmingham (Ala) is mixed. In most cases, potable water involves pumps. Sometimes for supply, sometimes as a pressure booster, sometimes for adding chemicals. A water powered pump is a good solution, for short term usage.

Long term, not so much. . . I would think a 12 VDC bilge pump, driven by a battery charger would better serve. During a power outage, the charger can be replaced with a battery from "wherever". The battery can be recharged using a solar panel when the rain clears. Depending on a utility that depends on another utility seems to be a dead end for long term outages. Such as freezing weather or serious storms.

We seldom see freezes, less often still enough to stop domestic water. But storms, especiall tornados, we have more than enough to share. Even strong winds can take out the water works across town. And in some places, an earthquake can wreak havoc with water mains.

Back