Insert tooling -- strategy

I am not sure what size insert your using. If you have the ones you linked to then it is a 31.51-09 like this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240224_193507_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_193507_eBay.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 9
Now buy some inserts like this that are the proper size and you will really like the finish you get.
Joe
Joe, the inserts you linked to originally are the wrong size for the toolholder he bought. His toolholder takes CCGT09. or CCGT32.5 sized inserts. Perhaps you were suggesting a different chip-breaker and sharp-edged uncoated insert such as a CCGT09T304-AK intended for aluminum? Like the following? I use this type (although much higher quality Kolroy brand) on stainless for finishing pass since it gives a nicer surface finish (at a sacrifice in longevity).

I am not sure what size insert your using. If you have the ones you linked to then it is a 31.51-09 like this one.

Joe, the inserts you linked to originally are the wrong size for the toolholder he bought. His toolholder takes CCGT09. or CCGT32.5 sized inserts. Perhaps you were suggesting a different chip-breaker and sharp-edged uncoated insert such as a CCGT09T304-AK intended for aluminum? Like the following? I use this type (although much higher quality Kolroy brand) on stainless for finishing pass since it gives a nicer surface finish (at a sacrifice in longevity).

The inserts that came with the tools I purchased are not the proper inserts for stainless?

This is the tool and inserts for stainless?

I picked up a load of stainless round bar at an auction and haven't had much luck turning it with my HSS and brazed carbide. It would be worth it to me to invest in cheap inserts and possible insert holder for stainless if it will help me make use of the stock I have. $15 is a no brainer if that is what I need. Why does it Aluminum? Why do the inserts Joe linked to say Aluminum?

I appreciate the help!

P.S. I am using a South Bend 13" with BXA tool post. My BXA holders are for 5/8" tools but would be open to buying 3/4" tool holders.

Last edited:
The inserts that came with the tools I purchased are not the proper inserts for stainless?

This is the tool and insert for stainless?

Recognize that the toolholder and inserts you purchased are unbranded and of questionable quality. Within the limits of the quality of those inserts, I'm sure they will cut stainless - at least for a while. My point was that you can attain better surface finish using a sharper edged insert like the ones I linked to that are designed specifically for softer materials like aluminum. The edge on those sharper inserts will degrade quicker than the edge on an insert designed for stainless, but can yield a better surface finish. Also, remember that your depth of cut on the original inserts is at least 1/2 the nose radius, otherwise the surface finish will suffer. The insert that came with your kit are have a nose radius of 0.0156", so your depth of cut to get the insert to actually cut instead of scrape is at least 0.008".

Recognize that the toolholder and inserts you purchased are unbranded and of questionable quality. Within the limits of the quality of those inserts, I'm sure they will cut stainless - at least for a while. My point was that you can attain better surface finish using a sharper edged insert like the ones I linked to that are designed specifically for softer materials like aluminum. The edge on those sharper inserts will degrade quicker than the edge on an insert designed for stainless, but can yield a better surface finish. Also, remember that your depth of cut on the original inserts is at least 1/2 the nose radius, otherwise the surface finish will suffer. The insert that came with your kit are have a nose radius of 0.0156", so your depth of cut to get the insert to actually cut instead of scrape is at least 0.008".

Excellent! Thank you!

Back