Douglasr

Forum Guest
Register Today
I want to try carbide inserts and found this at Grizzly Tools
Price: $70.95
Sale Price: $56.75
Your Price:** $56.75
In Stock

I have a 7 x 12 lathe and do a lot of stainless steel.
Opinions? Thanks

We'll now I made the pic load but not the link. It is stock number T 10293. A 7 PC set, can anyone advise if it is a good deal?

Lot's of places sell that kit and that price seems to be on-par with all the other vendors.

I have a set of those in 3/8" shank and there are times they really come in-hand because of the unique angles some of them have. In my view of things, they are "essential" for me but probably not so for a home user. A gunsmith might need them more regularly because you find yourself in tight situations more often.

As someone mentioned, the insert costs are a consideration. Those little guys take common -but slightly less popular inserts. They're easily available on eBay but, overall cost is a little bit higher -but it won't break the bank. The threading and grooving insert tips... I've never been able to find replacements for those -but no big deal as I use different solutions to address those things.

If you're on a budget, you'll do really well with the common, 5 piece basic set that just uses Txxx type inserts that can be found just about anywhere.

Ray

I see maybe two tools there that I would like over the triangle set I have.

Take a look at the sexy stuff that Micro100 sells. And don't forget A. R. Warner tools.

I personally get a cheap set of common stuff and save the money for getting fancy specialized singles.

Quality of the insert decides the cutting. The holder is just a chunk of steel.

Chuck is correct ideally you want a set that all uses the same insert and a common widely available insert. I purchased the Glanze set from Grizzly after some research and finding it was recommended by many. CCMT and CCGT inserts in the 21.51 size. Also picked up some razor sharp polished Korloy inserts for non-ferrous, plastics, and wood. Of course there are inserts available for stainless, steel, and ferrous metals. This set of tools will use all 4 corners of the insert which is something else to consider. The triangle inserts someone recommended above may be another way to go, uses all corners, all tools use the same insert.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Glanze-Turning-Tool-Set-1-2/H5681

lc1.jpglc2.jpglc3.jpglc10.jpg

lc1.jpg lc2.jpg lc3.jpg lc10.jpg

Back