[Lathe] Inherited Sebastian Lathe

lnagy101

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
My father, a lifelong toolmaker and machinist, recently passed away. One of the many tools he left behind was his lathe. He used it regularly, I wouldn't be surprised if he used it the week that he died. I am not posting this as a for sale, I'm just looking for some thoughts and discussion of things to consider when we do try to sell it and all of the accessories. I'm hoping the more that we know about it, the better chance we have of finding it a good home and not having it go for scrap.

Here's what I know. It is a Sebastian lathe (we even have the original owners manual). It has been converted to standard 110 current. The lathe has been in my parents basement for 35+ years. It runs and was pretty well maintained. There are numerous chucks and accessories for it, including a large amount of stock. Some of which you can see in the pictures.

I guess my questions are, Is this a desirable lathe? Any idea of age? Do you think somebody might drive several hours to purchase, take apart and haul out of the basement? What are some of the things I should find out about it before making a serious attempt to sell? Of course value. We're looking to price it high enough that somebody doesn't just buy it for scrap, but low enough that the proper enthusiast will take it home and use it for another 30+ years of keeping their friends equipment running.

I would be happy to post more pictures or information just let me know.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Larry.

11149669_1088817471133591_8489724116660239113_o.jpg 11078131_1088817477800257_1726498441823929209_o.jpg 11155180_1088817494466922_7112803551109629115_o.jpg

find out what's in the boxes below it as far as tooling for it , It looks like a real nice set-up. gear box is a big plus. do you know what the size is? 12" maybe.Do the research and if the price is right some one will drive there and take it off your hands, but I'd think about keeping it myself.....

From what I have read about them they seem to be of good quality. There is a Yahoo group that specializes in the Sebastions - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Sheldonlathe/info

Personally, I'm of the same feelings that Rafe expressed on keeping it (We are all a like that on this board.)

Sorry to hear of your father's passing.

-Ron

Rafe and Ron, thanks for the input. My brother and I both wish we had room for it. Sadly we don't. Rafe wondered what was in the drawers, mostly stock. One is full of copper, another I think stainless. I'm posting a few more pictures of some shelving with related accessories.

0419151800b.jpg 0419151801.jpg 0419151801a.jpg 0419151803.jpg 0419151803a.jpg 0419151804.jpg

Location has a lot to do with machinery values. Your area is more of a buyers market than a sellers. Follow the local Craigslist lathe ads for a while to get a feel for what comparable machines are selling for. If you watch closely enough you can get a pretty good idea of what a reasonable asking price is, the overpriced tools wont sell and the good deals will disappear very quickly.

Hello
I have the 16" version of this machine. You should have no problem selling this lathe. I wish mine had been taken care of this well. I am happy to hear you want the machine to go to someone similar to your dad. Most of the time family members feel burdened to dispose of equipment after a death in the family and it goes to the highest bidder or the scrap man. Hope it works out as you guys have planned.
thanks
jesse

I am not familiar with that brand name lathe, but there were a lot of places that made machines during WW 2 when there was a high demand for them. I think it was made in in the 1940 just a guess. As for tooling, yes there is a lot of odd bits of metal stock, but from the photos of parts on the shelves, it looks like you have a center rest, two other chucks, parts for a taper attachment for the lathe again just a guess, the plate with the little vise on it can be some sort of milling attachment home made probably for some job or work he was doing, also there is what looks like some sort of turret style tail stock attachment, you would take off the tail stock that is on the lathe now and put that thing on and you would have multiple tools that could be indexed. You do have an older quality U.S. lathe in good shape, with a good amount of tooling for it, I do not know where you live or what the situation is in terms of demand, but here in north carolina they want insane money for a lathe that is not as capable as yours. If it is in good shape and I may be wrong it is worth at least $1,000. if not more

Sorry to hear about your Dad. This is one of those things you don't have room for but afterwards you'll wish you had kept. That lathe is pretty nice looking, unless you have another one I'd put that machine in my garage even if I had to leave the car set out. But then again I am a machine hoarder.

Hi Larry,

Condolences on your fathers passing. The lathe looks well equipped and in good shape. I would say around $1,500 would be a fair place to start but it depends on how much time you have to sell it.

Larry,
Sorry about your Dad. My first recommendation would be that if you have even a passing interest in machining, I would just store the lathe for now. Just shove it against a wall in the garage, oil it up good and throw a tarp over it. But, if you're not inclined to do that, I would say that Sebastian lathe is some of that good ol' American iron that many hobbyists are looking for. If you put that on Craig's List in my area for $2500 it would be gone in an hour.

Ted

Back