Ineresting 4 Jaw Chuck

Absolutely gorgeous once you cleaned it up, looks like it saw very little use through the years. Great score :congratulate:. I think the combination chuck offers a lot of advantage of the standard 4J independent (but at almost twice the cost of a direct mount). Haven't seen them in a 3J version, so thank you for posting. As an all around chuck they are a pleasure to use, you should be able to get a repeatability of the scroll to around 0.002-0.003 once the jaws are dialed in evenly. The individuals jaws have a fairly wide adjustability range used independently, but they need more than a few teeth to hold a piece securely.

Absolutely gorgeous once you cleaned it up, looks like it saw very little use through the years. Great score :congratulate:. I think the combination chuck offers a lot of advantage of the standard 4J independent (but at almost twice the cost of a direct mount). Haven't seen them in a 3J version, so thank you for posting. As an all around chuck they are a pleasure to use, you should be able to get a repeatability of the scroll to around 0.002-0.003 once the jaws are dialed in evenly. The individuals jaws have a fairly wide adjustability range used independently, but they need more than a few teeth to hold a piece securely.
I'm real happy with the way it cleaned up. I don't have a backplate for it and it appears that the previous owner didn't either. It has divots all over the sides of the bottom section (you can see them if you zoom in) where it was held in the jaws of a larger chuck. As heavy as it is, I'm not going to do that on my 15" Polamco. The weight of two chucks plus a work piece hanging on the end of the spindle seems a bit much. I don't do a lot of multiple offset work so I don't feel inclined to buy a camlock backplate for it. It's not hard to dial a common 4 jaw in to 0.001 if you use one a lot. I think for now I'll just stick with my 4 jaw, 3 jaw scroll with soft jaws, and collets. The combination chuck will make a good conversation piece.

Back