1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Indexable for interupted cast iron turning

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSIONS' started by outsider347, Mar 18, 2017.

1. outsider347

outsider347 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Orchard Park
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Been using HSS to interrupted cast iron cutting on a SB lathe
    Wondering if there might be a index able insert that will work without chipping?
    Tks Gents
    ed

2. Doubleeboy

Doubleeboy Active User Active Member

City:
    Eugene
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

3. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

As mentioned above, find a piece of C-2 brazed on carbide tool. The old Kennametal or Carboloy one's were colored either gold or silver. Do not use the copper color looking ones, those are C-6. Try not to put a sharp cutting edge on corner of the carbide. Might even put a slight negative top rake on the cutter at the corner or tip of the tool bit. Run slow in back gear if larger than 2" OD. Try a coarse feed rate, about around .010-.015" and as deep as the tool will let you take. The key to it is get under the interrupted cut as quick as you can. Might have to get a little aggressive and brute with the cuts being made. C.I. comes off best when you can hog it! You think the lathe is fixing to come apart! There's not much more you can do trying to machine a interrupted cut on a 9" SBL. Done it several times in my past when I didn't have access to a heavier beefier lathe. Ken

mikey likes this.