Index Model 645 Manual

........ The lathes.co.uk site lists the shipping weight as 2100 lbs. If that is correct, .........T. J.
Weight is closer to 2200-2300 lbs if yours has the 4 foot table. Either remove the head or rotate it upside down. Makes it a little easier to handle. Also lower the knee/table all the way down as far as it will go. Just gets the center of gravity down low to the ground. Ken

Index is still in business and they usually have a manual available on eBay for sale. If they don't have one listed, call them or send a email, I bet they would put one in the mail for you for about $45. I have a copy for my 645 mill. It cannot easily be scanned due to the odd sheet sizes of the assemblies. Hey, for about $45 it's money well spent if you ask me. Ken

Edit: e-mail wellsindex@aol.com or call 231-759-0950

F.Y.I. The 745 is almost identical to the 645. The only difference is the head, everything else from the head down is the same.

Just to follow up on this, I contacted Wells-Index yesterday. They quoted $49 for a manual including postage. I'm going to see if there happens to be a manual with the mill when I go get it Sunday. If not, I'll order it from W-I.

To Ken (or anyone else who has a 645):

What size are the bolt holes in the base and how thick is the base? I'm thinking of lag-screwing the mill to some 4x4's or possibly directly to the wooden floor of my trailer and need to know what size lag screws to get.

I think loading it will be fairly easy - the seller has a hoist to lift it.

Boy, did I really jinx myself with that comment! Left at 6am this morning, drove three hundred miles, took 5 hours to get it loaded, then 300 miles back home. I'm pooped! I'll upload some pics tomorrow. I'll probably start a new thread to include cleanup & closer inspection.

Back