Index 645 quill power feed

3strucking

Registered
Registered
The power feed doesnt work on my 645. I can manually feed it up and down with the hand wheel. If I put a lot of downward pressure on the quill feed gear selector, it will work somewhat. I have a manual and I think I adjusted the clutch correctly. Any ideas?

There's really no clutch adjustment for the power feed on the head. It's either engaged or it's not.
The jaw clutch that engages the power feed could be worn out to the point it will not stay engaged or the roll pin that holds the miter gear in place is sheared off. There are several woodruff keys in the gear train that could have sheared off, but I doubt it. You can still get most of the parts for this head from Index Machine company. Be prepared to spend $$$ for replacement parts.

I have the same mill that had the same power feed unit. It was gutted with missing parts when dad got the mill. He had notes where he contacted Well Index back may years ago for replacement parts. One of the castings and another part were untainable. After dad passed, I pulled power feed unit off and rigged up a hand feed unit that has worked fine for me for what I do. I still have a few of the parts laying around here somewhere. But some of the parts missing is the bronze worm gear and the clutch pieces. Ken

Do you have a manual,the power feed can be adjusted by following the instructions.I had to adjust mine when I took it all apart when i bought it to change and clean out all the grease.Some are oil filled if you see a sight glass.Unless like Ken said you are missing parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 9
The little round oblong shaped handle in the middle of the hand feed wheel was in neutral. I didn't even know that was what it was for. That's why I said I should of have read the manual again.

Back