In total shock over my Shars 3-Jaw Chuck

For the generation before us, the common theme was "Cheap Junk Japanese Imitations". Yet now Japanese made equipment is revered. You would never convince my Father in Law of this, but the Japanese stuff is high quality now. Remember when "made in Taiwan" or "made in Hong Kong" was synonymous with garbage? The same progression is happening with the Chinese stuff. Many, included some here, will never accept it, but the Chinese stuff has come a long ways in the last twenty years... especially in the last five. You can buy stuff from Harbor Freight and have a reasonable expectation of function. And the prices are going up to match. Yes, there are items for which lowest possible price is the only manufacturing criteria, but they are fairly easy to spot and avoid.

It seems everything advances at some pace... common wisdom being the slowest.

Congrats Grizzly! I have to use darkzero’s “Tap-Tru” method to get anything close to .0005”.

Which leads me to a question that has been haunting me and is sort of on topic. Regarding taking a couple thousandths off the register and then tapping on the chuck to center the work, why have a register at all? I understand having an undersized register for a Set-Tru type chuck with adjusting screws that bear on the register, but for “tap tru”, what purpose does a register serve? A flat faced adapter plate sure would be easier to make. So, should I patent the heretofore unheard of flat faced chuck adapter plate or just pay better attention in class?

Tom

Note to Mods: If you think this is OT, let me know and I’ll delete it. Or you can.

Tom, there are a number of ways to mount a chuck to a backplate and I'm not sure if there is a right way. I have a 6" Samchully chuck and their manual states that the proper fit is to make the register on the backplate 0.0004" smaller than the mating hole in the back of the chuck. The end of the register should also be shorter than the bottom of the hole in the back of the chuck. This allows you to snug the attachment bolts and align the chuck to the plate with what @darkzero is calling the "tap-tru" method. Once aligned, a little blue LocTite on the locking screws will keep the chuck in place unless you have a crash, at which time a little misalignment is the least of your problems.

Samchully is a Korean maker that supplies OEM chucks for Haas and Hardinge. I figure they know what they're talking about.

admin feel free to strike the comment, it's made in partial jest.
not to get too far into economic debate,
but if you have an entity that has intentionally repressed the value of their currency- you will soon have a trade imbalance. :bang head:

As much as the politicians and talking heads try, fifty years of off-shoring can not be condensed to a 10 second black and white sound byte, or even a single finger pointing. Let's leave it for another thread.

Now, off to the barn to beat the crap out of my tired ebay chuck and see if it will come into align.

Chinese goods have improved but they are still quite variable on quality control
Mark
Correct, Mark. I do not think that is because of some inherent flaw in their civilization or work ethic culture, rather in doing whatever it takes to meet their customers' price point demands. We reap what we sow. For perhaps 10 or 15 percent more cost of manufacture actually applied to QC and QA we could probably learn to expect to receive quality tested goods from China. I do not know if customers like Shars, MSC, and others buy their goods from the manufacturers or from brokers, but at some level the message that machinists want 'consistently good quality products at the best possible price' has not been communicated. I think there is a large market for some importer who can actually achieve that in reality.

To agree with Bob's comments: My iPhone and iMac are made (assembled?) in China and these are some of the highest quality tech pieces I own.

Not exactly apples to apples, but just supporting the 'you get what you pay for' perspective which is something I feel strongly about. Feel free to delete if necessary... :)

My bandwidth sucks here so I can't watch the video except in small pieces which makes it hard to tell what's going.
From what I think I see, it appears the indicator (or maybe just the camera) is moving, but the needle isn't.
Are you sure the indicator isn't bottomed out?

Back