In praise of HM

I found a couple of balls in a tool box I bought at auction. Figured out they were to be used with a trammel of some sort, have used them a few times in the past 25 years, glad I had them.
In use one goes on the end of a trammel pin, then goes into a hole so you can scribe a circle around a hole.

This is one of the really fine things about HM. I'm always learning something. Silverbullet, I am one of those that never heard of ball trammels. I looked it up and now I know what they look like. But how do you use them?
Just like silence dogood I had to do a search for ball trammels. Found some pictures but was unable (admittedly a low effort search) to find their purpose or how to use them. Can anyone educate me/us. Either via video/text link or via an example? Thanks

This is one of the really fine things about HM. I'm always learning something. Silverbullet, I am one of those that never heard of ball trammels. I looked it up and now I know what they look like. But how do you use them?
Trammels can be used lots of ways , like inside and outside calipers , hermaphrodite calipers also. With combinations of ball on one and scriber point or in or out caliper leg. If you need to layout bolt hole circles and have a start hole the ball end would be centered using the ball the other can be set to scribe or to measure between holes . They use to sell a vernier style trammels but with a good scale you can locate within .005 really easy. Extremely versatile tool ,but with dros there almost of no use. But for me I can say ill keep my set ill know when I do a layout where everything goes. I used mine on many 12foot dia. Tanks and lids , even on missiles for the government , u2 style rockets were fun to build . There lugs were titanium with specified finishes. I think about two thousand at a time . Even the fins had tight specs. YUPP I learned well to use trammels l sure wish I could go back in time just to thank the old guys who taught me. Don't think everything new is always best , old may still be better. Of course you have to use the brain to work them not push a button.

It's a sad state of affairs, but one of my current diagnostic tools for unfamiliar problems is google. Yes, there is a ton of self-appointed experts with an attitude out there. They *know* the answer, and as soon as you ask questions beyond their understanding (doesn't take long), they go on the offensive.

Mark, ever heard of Team.net?

Trammels can be used lots of ways , like inside and outside calipers , hermaphrodite calipers also. With combinations of ball on one and scriber point or in or out caliper leg. If you need to layout bolt hole circles and have a start hole the ball end would be centered using the ball the other can be set to scribe or to measure between holes . They use to sell a vernier style trammels but with a good scale you can locate within .005 really easy. Extremely versatile tool ,but with dros there almost of no use. But for me I can say ill keep my set ill know when I do a layout where everything goes. I used mine on many 12foot dia. Tanks and lids , even on missiles for the government , u2 style rockets were fun to build . There lugs were titanium with specified finishes. I think about two thousand at a time . Even the fins had tight specs. YUPP I learned well to use trammels l sure wish I could go back in time just to thank the old guys who taught me. Don't think everything new is always best , old may still be better. Of course you have to use the brain to work them not push a button.
I learn how to use calipers, even the hermaphrodites. many years ago in high school. What a simple thing is just adding a ball to one of the pointers. I'm beginning to get the idea on how to use them and I think I will. May have to get or make them. Thanks Silverbullet. I learned something really big today.

Randy: Yes I checked out team.net seems to be mostly British I didn't see any Alfa threads
Mark

It was a long shot. Team.net was started long ago by a bunch of autocrossers, an offshoot from a usenet group... long before "internet" was a household word. One of the founders was a Mark S from Cal. I occasionally bump into oldtimers from there on the assorted marque forums.

there's not a more stupid person than a smart person.

from Wikipedia

"These are Cipolla's five fundamental laws of stupidity:

1. Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.
  2. The probability that a certain person (will) be stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person.
  3. A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses.
  4. Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake.
  5. A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person."

These are Cipolla's five fundamental laws of stupidity:

Thanks for that....never seen it before.
Do you think it would all fit on a t-shirt? Or maybe a sign for the shop.......hmmm.
-brino

Back