Improving The 4x6 Band Saw

The best modification I made to mine was to get rid of the spring adjusted feed. I made a hydraulic adjustable feed and it improved cutting immensely and blade lasts longer.
I've read about this mod being done quite a bit, but I don't understand HOW it improves cutting. As I understand it, too little pressure can work harden the material, and dull the blade, while to much pressure causes blade wander. Is this correct? Also, I have tried adjusting the spring tension, and honestly don't see any difference. Can someone educate me on this? Thanks, JR49

it is way quicker to adjust. springs are not as consistent through the whole cut...this straightened out my cut a lot

it is way quicker to adjust. springs are not as consistent through the whole cut...this straightened out my cut a lot

Is there a less expensive set up, that you can think of, than what you have done?

mine cost me almost nothing...local auction left overs

most of the $ is in the cylinder and valve ,, the rest can be made from basic pipe for the reservoir . i used aircraft fitting just because i have oodles of them. barbed fitting will work fine since there is no pressure in the hose

I bought a 6" air cylinder, One way flow control valve and fittings for about $20 on ebay. I can fine adjust the down feed according to what I am cutting so blades last longer. The one way flow control allows me to raise the blade with no problem when cut is done. I have a dial on it with marks for different materials.

Question for Billh50; can you give us more details on the air cylinder, such as diameter? Also do you have a URL for the web page for the cylinder?
Thanks.

The cylinder is a 3/4 bore and 6 inch stroke. The flow control is a one direction flow control. I bought them on ebay. Did a search for "air cylinder" and then "flow control"
I am sure a 5/8 or larger cylinder will do. Just filled mine with gear oil I had on the shelf and it works fine. Got all but 1 tiny bubble of air out of the system. Will post a photo of my setup later.

Back