Improving The 4x6 Band Saw

LX Kid

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I know that my band saw wasn't marketed by Grizzly but was actually sold by Northern Tools. China made the same band saw and was branded by under several names such as Grizzly, Northern, Harbor Freight etc. I followed some of the alignment procedures, that was on YouBoob, and it cuts fairly well! Not exactly like a $1000 machine but it does me alright. I made a couple of improvements to make life a little bit better. I bought a Harbor Freight wooden dolly for about $12 and put the spindly legged saw on top with angle brackets screw to both. It raised it up by about four inches and with the four casters on the bottom it makes it very mobil and easy to move around. Really made it stable also. I also put a box of drop off metal stock in the bottom to keep it from tipping over with the saw raised for level cutting. I put a sheet rock mud tray under the cuttings to keep all that cuttings from getting all over the place.

20160226_090942_resized.jpg

Looks great
I did about same thing to mine less chip box.

Dave

A little added weight on those is a good thing. Mud pan looks like it should do the trick. Mike

I've found that its so much easier to have machinery on wheels then stuck in one spot. If your shop is small anything stationary is always in the way for something or other. Great job with your economical set up, I really like the swarf catcher. Made me think when I get my Rockwell restoration started of a couple things to change on it , I'm gona use your tray catcher but put a few holes for the coolent to flow out but catch the chips. Thanks a little look at yours helped mine.

I used a mud pan on mine as well. Just the perfect size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that I will have to take the bearing support assemblies off and mill the mating surfaces. They just don't want to stay tightened. I can get a fairly straight cut and then it goes out of alignment. (You pay less you get less!)

The best modification I made to mine was to get rid of the spring adjusted feed. I made a hydraulic adjustable feed and it improved cutting immensely and blade lasts longer.

Much better than using it for it's intended purpose, I can attest to that.:) Mike

Quote: I used a mud pan on mine as well. Just the perfect size.

The best modification I made to mine was to get rid of the spring adjusted feed. I made a hydraulic adjustable feed and it improved cutting immensely and blade lasts longer.

Sooooo where's the picture? Gotta share with the particulars!

funny this popped up..just did this this morning

IMG_8601.JPG IMG_8600.JPG

Back