Importing Lathe from Canada

intrepid

Registered
Registered
I'm looking at a used Clausing lathe in Ontario Canada. This would be for personal use. I am thinking of a road trip, about 8 hours form me. I have been searching for rules for importing but very confusing for me. What forms are needed and how is the import tax calculated. If it is too much trouble I would just pass.

The easy way is to use a freight forwarder, they know the details and should be able to make it hassle free, for a price. This isn’t exactly what you’re asking about but they might be willing to discuss it with you.

You can probably diy by looking at

Problem is you’re not really an importer so the rules aren’t really designed for what you’re trying to do. It’s probably fine to just show up at the border with the machine, a sales receipt, and your checkbook. What it’ll cost is likely to be dependent on the mood of the particular border agent you speak with.

If it’s really the machine you want I’d say go for it, you could ask the seller to give a contingency if getting it home is too big a hassle. Maybe a few hundred bucks for a return fee.

Let us know how it works out.

John

If it is anything like importing to Canada, just show up at the border with the lathe and a proper receipt. Either you get someone who just asks about the lathe, or they send you to secondary and they figure out how much tax and duty you pay.
What I sometimes do is call or stop at customs on my way and ask what to have when you bring it across.
Not all border crossings allow commercial imports. At least into Canada. Rainbow Bridge is one as well as the lower bridge which is Nexus only. In Niagara anyways.
In my experience, if you have a receipt for a used machine, I have rarely paid any duty or tax if any. This is going the opposite way you are going.
Also your money is worth $1.32 to our $1.00. Makes it more worth the drive.

Martin

Had to pay over $100 in taxes just to move my son's stuff up to Toronto . Guess they needed $$$$ that day . To import his 4 Runner was over 7 grand . I own it now .

Where was it made?

Is made in USA would it not really be imported?

Returning home instead...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

CBP website recommends calling the office at your entry point for current information. The person answering the phone may have no idea what a lathe is so be prepared to explain using other terms like used machine tool. I think tq60 is correct that there is no import duty on a made in USA machine so make sure to mention that when calling and ask if you need to bring something proving it was made in the US.

I brought a vehicle in once and it was easy and straighforward. The backwater crossing I used only processed a vehicle or two per year. They just pulled out their manual and we flipped through it making sure everything was properly stamped and filled out.

Back