[Newbie] Imported Mini Lathe Alternative Question

jfjohn77

Registered
Registered
I'm relatively new to mini lathe thing and have been looking into them for use in Gunsmithing and Reloading. But, after looking at what is available and searching Ebay for possible used machines and such, I have found some of the older, smaller Atlas/Clausing lathes available in the same price range. I'm wondering, and I'm looking for advice from those more knowledgeable and experienced than myself, would not these units be a better alternative? I would think that these Atlas machines would be more dependable, heavier and therefore more accurate that the imports. Am I wrong? Now I'm referring to units that are not in need of a complete rebuild and missing parts, etc. There are still parts available for them and American made from a time when that meant something. I am specifically thinking of an Atlas Model 10100, 6 inch. I realize they don't have all the latest bells and whistles, variable speeds, digital speed displays, etc. But, I'm thinking of dependability and accuracy here, not convenience. If upgrades become valuable necessities, they could be added. Now what am I missing, what problems I'm I not seeing? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Me if I where looking for that size lathe I would take an atlas-craftsman in good shape with all of the change gears over an import. Now as for gunsmithing
depends what you want to do. For rifle barrel work you will need a bigger lathe.

The phrase "mini-lathe" for many of us connotes one of the little 7" lathes (often referred to as 7x lathes). You can get them really cheap from Harbor Freight, Grizzly, etc. They all seem to come from the same factory in China, and all have the same limitations, problems, and get the same modifications. There is a seriously huge community that uses them, and if you are willing to put many hours of work into one, you can end up with a very nice machine.

The Atlas you describe is what is commonly referred to as a "benchtop lathe." There is no real rule about what constitutes a mini lathe, it is just that the 7x has co-opted the term. I only say this so that when you ask a question about a "mini lathe," you might get a lot of talk about cheap 7x Horror Fright things.

All that said, I would take the little Atlas over a mini lathe with out a second thought. You will lose variable speed, reverse, metric threading, and maybe some other things, but gain 150lbs in good cast iron. It is unlikely that any of those lathes are worn out since they are not production machines, more likely they will be rusted together and require some patience getting everything moving again. Not sure about the spindle bearings on them, I am sure someone will chime in with a warning - some of the older Atlas' had bronze bushings for the spindle and those will wear out if not lubed. On the other hand Bronze bushing are far more accurate than roller or ball bearings until you get into really fancy (expensive) ones.

A mini lathe on the other hand can be mounted to a piece of plywood and tossed on a shelf when not in use. They can make a nice addition to a reloading room if you just want a tool for spinning things.

For me personally, I would never own a smaller Atlas because they used threaded spindles. This is not an issue if you are never going to run it in reverse or put a heavy chuck on it.

Thanks for your input gentlemen, it is appreciated. The more I look around, read and learn, the more I think I will look for a South Bend 9 or 10.

Thanks for your input gentlemen, it is appreciated. The more I look around, read and learn, the more I think I will look for a South Bend 9 or 10.

You need something bigger than that I think. depending on age, a regular 9 or 10 inch had a maximum spindle bore of 3/4", and depending on what you are doing that might not be big enough for gunsmith work. a heavy 10 is what you would need, buy they are harder to find in good condition, and carry a premium price tag.

Back