import dial indicator reliable and accurate?

LEEQ

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to get into some new indicators that read to tenths..0001. I am limited on funds and thought I would ask what you guys think about dials you have bought from Grizzly and the like.

Invest in a good indicator, intrepid, Compac, Brown and Sharpe, Best test, etc. If you ebay them, they can be had for less than 100, but you are risking they may have a problem. The other option is to look at the indicators from Enco. They have B/S for less than 200 new. Pay me now or pay me later, but unless you get a descent one in the beginning you will have to worry about accuracy. I went with Compac .0005, because they are not as jumpy and hard to read, considering my application, .0001 is not necessary. Tim
I need to get into some new indicators that read to tenths..0001. I am limited on funds and thought I would ask what you guys think about dials you have bought from Grizzly and the like.

I'll second the eBay suggestion. I have 50 to 75 different indicators, and only 1 of them was bought new. I have many that came from eBay as used, but were basically unused. I've always paid 3 to 30 times less than new cost also (none made in China).

I did well paying about $75 total, for three different indicators ($10, 25, $40) technically all crapshoots, and have ended up with:

-One which works perfect
-One which didn't work perfectly but I got it working great with lube
-one which will be for "parts". :)

Bernie

When I started out I needed a test indicator to tram my BP so I bought one of those cheap $39.00 indicator from China. I was never satisfied with this device, too much movement. Since then I have had a number of them given to me. At this point I have 6 or 7 others. At least 3 of these are B & S Best Test. All of mine except one read in .0005 the other is .0001. In my opinion 5 tenths is close enough. I also agree get a decent one you won't be sorry.

Paul

A couple thoughts on this subject. Remember that having a dial marked in .0001 increments does not translate to .0001 accuracy. I took a quick look in a Travers catalog and noticed a Dial Test indicator from T&O that listed its dial graduations as .0001. However, it lists accuracy as .00015. If the indicator you are looking at does not specify it's accuracy and / or provide a certified calibration certificate, you may not be getting what you think you are. I looked at a couple of indicators in the Grizzly catalog and they did not mention either accuracy or calibrations certificates. Also beware of conformance certificates provided with some import tools - many times they are just stating that equipment used to manufacture the product is conforming and not actually the product itself. They can look impressive until you read the fine print.

If you want accuracy then why go with a used indicator? Minimize the chances of getting a lemon as best you can by buying new from a reputable dealer/store. If you have to scrounge up the extra $ somehow to get a better indicator IMO it's worth it. Be careful and take care of it.

old or used does not = inaccurate, why do so many of use covet the old machines and then quiver at the of a used/old indicator? If the indicator is questionable, then you can get it checked by a qualified repair facility. Unless the unit is so old you cannot repair it, it will be just fine for the majority of users. I work in a production shop and we tend to hold .001 or greater. The only time we hold a tighter tolerance is when we bore a hole for a bushing and then its only .0003+- so the practicality of what is necessary is on the operator/designer/engineer, and what is your design criteria/application require such a tight tolerance? Think about this.....do you need to have a .001 tolerance for a bracket to hold a keyboard for a computer:nuts:? We have these types of tolerances at work for the most unusual things because the engineers who did not think about the application. Just some food for thought. Tim

Just for thought, I keep all of mine in zip lock baggies,,squeeze the air out while zip locking, wife taught me to. now its vac. sealed

Back