[Metrology] Imperial

Great video! He just illustrated in less than 3 minutes how anyone who can remember their address, phone number, credit card number or any other number that is not a multiple of 10 can also remember and use the Imperial system of measurement, with some Roman stuff thrown in for good measure. (Pun intended) Good show, old chap!

I mean, really, if you can remember that there are 365 days in a year, 7 days in a week, 24 hours in a day, ad nauseum, how hard is to remember 1760 yards in a mile? Besides, metric measurement can never have the poetic ring to it like furlongs per fortnight. You can have my yardstick when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Tom

i have not heard of 80% of those imperial measurements, he lost me right after furlong.

luckily i can go either metric or imperial without much hassle.
at the risk of being labeled a heretic, the metric system is easier to use :oops:

I am perfectly comfortable and competent with BOTH systems. And a few more like the British Whitworth system that the Brit in the video never even mentioned for some reason, and the ancient Roman and Greek systems. None of the systems are perfect. All can be useful. When we are born into systems that have been in place for centuries and we have absolutely no chance of ever changing any of them by ourselves, we do the right thing -- we live with it and do the best we can...

I hired a framer one time who had a tape measure that also had markings for cubits which is a few inches longer than the standard 16" stud layout. I had to take the tape measure away because he kept using the cubit marks for layout.

He's reading it to camera, which is in itself a skill, but not as impressive as learning or knowing all that, less impressive is that he missed out 2 of 3 from "Rod, Pole or Perch" ;-)

If you have a calculator, DRO or CNC, or all 3, then none of it really matters :D

He's reading it to camera, which is in itself a skill, but not as impressive as learning or knowing all that, less impressive is that he missed out 2 of 3 from "Rod, Pole or Perch" ;-)

If you have a calculator, DRO or CNC, or all 3, then none of it really matters :D
I do not say that one is better than the other.
But it is to bad that we do not have the sam worldwide.
It's like two different languages when you watch youtube:congratulate:

I figured out long ago that this crusade to convert me to metric is a huge Canadian conspiracy. Y’all figure if you can get me to convert to a metric lifestyle, then next you can make me speak Canadian. Well, I ain’t falling for it, eh?

Tom

Back