IMPACT III Engraving Machine

Mikebr5

Registered
Registered
I do not know anything about this machine other than what I can glean from looking at it. I can find no data or manuals on the net.
I am trying to decide whether this is strip for parts for projects this coming winter, or if it is worthy of restoring and upgrading to modern control system. The old control system is still intact, but the computer/cnc part is a separate cabinet and screen.
Built in 1988 by (or for) FAMCO, called an Impact III.
Double spindle, each spindle has separate servo motors for raise/lower.
Same size servo motors drive the table.
The spindle motors are up to 40,000 rpm and have a coolant system.

It looks to have been used to engrave signage and machine labels/tags. The labels/tags are the two layer plastic type.
The tool holder is brand new to me...
The data plate:
20170821_145622.jpg
It says that it is 3 phase- it is not. The cabinet that came with it had a 3 phase plug, and inside the cabinet it was only 2 legs used. The red leg from the power plug was folded back and taped to itself inside the disconnect switch. The power conduit to the machine only had black, white and green.
The shroud that covers the two spindles and their up/down servo motors.
20170821_145643.jpg
One of the two spindle motors... Precise Type SC77.
20170821_154209.jpg
Here is a youtube video - the only thing I can find on the spindle motor so far:
The control panel. Normally the shroud surrounds this.
20170821_154224.jpg
This was stored in an unheated but covered location for at least a year. I have not tried to power it up... Yet.
The daughter took a stab at figuring this thing out. Here she points to the relay board. She probably has this thing all figured out, but 3 year old speech is tough for me, unless it is "CARRY", "Banana!" or "NO!"
20170821_154130.jpg Note the sloth. He probably knows how this works too.
Coolant system. (This is separate from the coolant system for the spindle motors, which is a stand-alone system.)
20170821_154157.jpg
Up/down Servo motors, x2.
20170821_154253.jpg
20170821_154310.jpg
Table servo motors, x2
20170821_154433.jpg
The general layout - This is after removing the upper 2 shrouds.
20170821_154523.jpg
If it is a strip-for-parts project then I can do that now. If it is worthy of getting it up and running, that would have to wait for a few months.
Any suggestions, brethren of the iron?

I do not have an an answer for you, any time there is more than 3 wires I am close to lost... ;)

Seeing the cost on the label, 99,977, I think the contractor knew what the bid limit was. Your tax dollar at work. If you bought it used at a government auction, what did you pay for it?

That is a heck of a spindle motor(s). Would make a great router (or engraver ;)) I guess it depends on what you would want to do with it. I guess I might cover it back up and think about how best to put it to use. Looks heavy enough to be a reasonable mill, would require a different spindle. Maybe start an engraving business. Maybe your daughter has some ideas :)

Seeing the cost on the label, 99,977, I think the contractor knew what the bid limit was.
Can you believe that they left $22.99 on the table?! Fools!
Bob Korves said:
Your tax dollar at work. If you bought it used at a government auction, what did you pay for it?
It came to a little more than $500 if memory serves. Plus my driving. I originally wanted it for the base/frame and x-y table. Now that I have had it for almost a year, I moved past that project without using this.

That is a heck of a spindle motor(s). Would make a great router (or engraver ;)) I guess it depends on what you would want to do with it. I guess I might cover it back up and think about how best to put it to use. Looks heavy enough to be a reasonable mill, would require a different spindle. Maybe start an engraving business. Maybe your daughter has some ideas :)
I'll have to ask her again. She said something about "Popcorn please" when I asked her the first time.
We're thinking along the same lines... It seems a bit too nice to strip it for parts, especially considering how much we all paid for it back in 1988. :grin big:
But... I really do want to get into some of that CNC stuff, and this things has most of the parts, even if it is just a practice machine.
Gah, decisions! I am in the beginning of ending my machine hoarding hobby. Maybe.

Back