I'm sorta irritated

Your current legs look just fine to me, Pat. Form follows function. Lathes are far more useful tools than fine art, in my mind. Those legs will come along when you are least expecting them to, and probably for $10-20 if you just be patient while you continue looking. Want and need are not at all the same thing...

Not trying to hijack thread.guy came and looked at a Seneca falls 12"lathe I have for sale.he took pictures of legs.texted.5 minutes later he got a call.put it on speaker.designer in L.A. Offered him 1000.for legs plus shipping.he offered 500 for legs..leave the rest...couldn't do it...he buys all he can.sends to L.A. That's messed up to me..Mark,,if you want legs better get them before their in someone's kitchen..

I agree with Bob, I think you have a very nice setup there. I if you are going for "stock" then wait and see what comes up.

K

I agree with Bob, I think you have a very nice setup there. I if you are going for "stock" then wait and see what comes up.

K
The steampunk fad will eventually fade (I hope soon!), and then whatever they have not butchered will be available at scrap prices or less...

Not trying to hijack thread.guy came and looked at a Seneca falls 12"lathe I have for sale.he took pictures of legs.texted.5 minutes later he got a call.put it on speaker.designer in L.A. Offered him 1000.for legs plus shipping.he offered 500 for legs..leave the rest...couldn't do it...he buys all he can.sends to L.A. That's messed up to me..Mark,,if you want legs better get them before their in someone's kitchen..

*sigh*

I bet it's just another bubble. I'm into antique tractors. When i started out you could get the machines and the parts very reasonably, combine that with how easy they were to work on and it's a great hobby that you can use at the end of the day. Then in the mid-2000s they got collectable, all of a sudden completely worn out iron was being treated as gold and the parts went though the roof. A lot of guys made a fair amount of money. A few years ago the market started correcting it's self. I think prices are pretty fair now, not as good as they once were but still with in reach of normal folks. I suspect this will be the same.

K

I don't think that the top board is original. Nor probably the bottom board. Too thin and too wide. The legs could possibly be Atlas.

I would call the seller and ask him whether he will look on the inside of the legs for a cast-in number that may end in -441.

And I would try calling Clausing and ask them whether or not they have any Atlas part numbers still in their computer system ending in say 440 through 445 and beginning with 9-, 10- or M6-. or those prefixes plus a letter between A- and D-. And if so, what the name or description is. We know that 10-442 is the drawing number for the wood top board for the four lengths of 10" stands (and most likely for the 3/8" bed 12") because we have that drawing.

Hey richl , that is a nice machine you found there and for $60. a unheard of deal in my parts . I would be willing to say that the scroll saw was made by Dunlap the makers of the Craftsman 109 . If that saw was in my area I probably would buy it just for the legs like you say . But then on the other hand I would most likely restore it legs and all because I could use a scroll saw . Thanks for the heads up , Mark .

Back