I'm sorta irritated

Thanks guys , I wonder if these 10 D legs are the same as the ones that were available for Atlas 618 ?

See what there going for on eBay then the advance deal to see what others payed. I'm looking for a set too but no money only I want them for my planer . I'm hating this pain keeping me down. Ill find them sometime after I make my on from box or channel iron.

Mark,

I cannot say for certain that the cast iron legs themselves are not the same, although they are probably different. But the part numbers of the full set (2 legs, top board, shelf board, and motor or countershaft mount) are quite different. The 6" stand part number is M6-800A. For the 10" the numbers are 10D-442A, B, C, D and 10F-442A, B, C, D. The A/B/C/D refers to the four standard bed lengths. The D means vertical countershaft and the F Horizontal. So I would bet that the castings are different.

It seems to me a nice solid wood bench (homemade of course) would be far preferable to those rickety looking little legs.
And yes, people make a business out of collecting and re-selling pairs of those things. But 400$? no freakin' way Jose.
Mark

If it were my situation I would head down to the steel yard buy 100 dollars worth of thick wall steel tubing and weld up something far superior, with tabs for adding shelves or what ever I wanted. Then again if those are really your pet flavor, suck it up and pay the bill. As far as steam punk go those legs don't even look that cool to me, nothing fancy or very retro about them, rather utilitarian looking to my eye.

Hi Mark , D, yes a home made bench would be perfectly fine , except for one thing (for me at least) I'm a vintage type guy . Yes sir re all things vintage and factory for me , well at least when I can afford it and it becomes available .

Last edited:
Hi Mark , D, yes a home made bench would be perfectly fine , except for one thing (for me at least) I'm a vintage type guy . Yes sir re all things vintage and factory for me , well at least when I can afford it and it becomes available .
Make some legs that work and wait for a sweet deal on factory ones?

Barter. Offer to turn some stuff on your lathe that could be sold as steam-punk parts, and trade it for the legs.

Hi Bob, that's exactly what I did and yes I'm waiting for the factory ones . I won't bore you with my dismal financial situation (it's not that bad) but come late March 18' I will be getting my SS and I don't mean stainless steel . Yes I can see it now original tooling for the Craftsman 6" will be filling my little work space , I have my sites set on a spindle collet set up , a steady rest , a taper attachment and those factory legs . The one thing that I want that is not original is a AXO wedge tool holder from LMS , I have to draw the line somewhere . The lantern tool post is just to much of a PITA . Here is a pic of the stand that I came up with to hold me over in tell those factory legs fall in my lap , it's a Harbor Freight stand and I made the wood table top and motor shelf .

DSCF2431.JPG

Back