I'm sorta irritated

westsailpat

Registered
Registered
Well not really ok yes I am . Anyhow this guy has a pair cast iron legs that I think would be a good fit for my Craftsman/Atlas 6" . They are I'm sure Atlas , i'm just not sure if they are for a 6" . The reason i'm irritated is because this guy seems to be one of those re purpose guys AKA Steam punker as he has other legs for sale . I would go over and talk to him but he says his price is firm and I respect that , i'm just not paying that much . How would you handle the art of the deal ?
PS 10 D-441 what does that mean ?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tls/d/craftsman-lathe-cast-iron-legs/6338592596.html

Well there is a 10D (predecessor of the popular 10F) lathe so I'm guessing that's what they're from.

That does seem expensive.

K

Last edited:
My experience has been the it will bother you to no end if you don’t get those legs. You have, I’m guessing, already bought them in your mind. Pay the man and in the future when you REALLY SCORE a deal consider yourself “even” with the universe. Think of it as paying now for something you REALLY want knowing that the universe owes you one..... You’ll be amazed how quickly the universe settles it’s debt...... Some call it Karma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My experience has been the it will bother you to no end if you don’t get those legs. You have, I’m guessing, already bought them in your mind. Pay the man and in the future when you REALLY SCORE a deal consider yourself “even” with the universe. Think of it as paying now for something you REALLY want knowing that the universe owes you one..... You’ll be amazed how quickly the universe settles it’s debt...... Some call it Karma.

That's an interesting way to go about it. I guess I'm always shooting for a fair price. I rarely "score" and often what seem like my better deals turn out to be not as good as they looked at first. When you're dealing with old stuff it's a crap shoot.

I got some sickle mower parts from a guy once that was selling them as steam punk art. He didn't know what he had and some how found them on eBay. I asked some questions then just sat back for a while. I asked what he would take for a package deal and he and I worked a very fair price. I wonder if you just let him sit on them for a while if you can chip away at the firm price.

K

I generally pay too much or as you say, find “it isn’t as good a deal as I thought” after the fact. That said, I can always recoup some of my money or “fix” the broken. That said I HATE the thought of waiting and loosing out on an Item I really want; few things irritate me as much and virtually nothing irritates me more. Loosing out or missing out is worse to me than overpaying because I am left with nothing. Overpay for something and you still have the item. Just my 2 cents. Good luck....... I hope you don’t miss out.

That's what i'm thinking K let him sit on them for a while , i'm in no hurry . Moderatemixed that a nice thought , you Canadian's are cool cats , only problem is the other day my Karma ran over my Dogma .

Let it go. Your turn will come. I bet you will find a lathe with base to replace the one you have all for less money.

Hi Mark,
go to him with 300 cash in a month when the legs are still for sale- he may have a different attitude

10D is the lathe model #
the digits following the 10D are the part#

Well, these legs are sort of an outrageous price. Problem is - these old style cast iron legs are highly sought after by antique dealers, and furniture makers. They make retro tables with them. Very popular in upscale homes and settings. The market has been going strong for this sort of thing for a number of years now - much to our machinist world detriment.

If you really want them, make an offer and see where it goes. Otherwise, I like the early comment - the universe will provide in some other way!

Good luck!

Glenn

Mark,

10D-441 is the Atlas casting number and finished part number for each of the legs. The top board is 10-442-36 through 10-442-54. I do not have the part number for the shelf. In 1943, the model number of the complete assembly was 10D-441B. Which doesn't seem right but that's what the catalog shows.

Back