• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

I'm sorta irritated

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

westsailpat

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Well not really ok yes I am . Anyhow this guy has a pair cast iron legs that I think would be a good fit for my Craftsman/Atlas 6" . They are I'm sure Atlas , i'm just not sure if they are for a 6" . The reason i'm irritated is because this guy seems to be one of those re purpose guys AKA Steam punker as he has other legs for sale . I would go over and talk to him but he says his price is firm and I respect that , i'm just not paying that much . How would you handle the art of the deal ?
PS 10 D-441 what does that mean ?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tls/d/craftsman-lathe-cast-iron-legs/6338592596.html

kopeck

Well there is a 10D (predecessor of the popular 10F) lathe so I'm guessing that's what they're from.

That does seem expensive.

K

Last edited:

Moderatemixed

My experience has been the it will bother you to no end if you don’t get those legs. You have, I’m guessing, already bought them in your mind. Pay the man and in the future when you REALLY SCORE a deal consider yourself “even” with the universe. Think of it as paying now for something you REALLY want knowing that the universe owes you one..... You’ll be amazed how quickly the universe settles it’s debt...... Some call it Karma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kopeck

My experience has been the it will bother you to no end if you don’t get those legs. You have, I’m guessing, already bought them in your mind. Pay the man and in the future when you REALLY SCORE a deal consider yourself “even” with the universe. Think of it as paying now for something you REALLY want knowing that the universe owes you one..... You’ll be amazed how quickly the universe settles it’s debt...... Some call it Karma.

That's an interesting way to go about it. I guess I'm always shooting for a fair price. I rarely "score" and often what seem like my better deals turn out to be not as good as they looked at first. When you're dealing with old stuff it's a crap shoot.

I got some sickle mower parts from a guy once that was selling them as steam punk art. He didn't know what he had and some how found them on eBay. I asked some questions then just sat back for a while. I asked what he would take for a package deal and he and I worked a very fair price. I wonder if you just let him sit on them for a while if you can chip away at the firm price.

K

Moderatemixed

I generally pay too much or as you say, find “it isn’t as good a deal as I thought” after the fact. That said, I can always recoup some of my money or “fix” the broken. That said I HATE the thought of waiting and loosing out on an Item I really want; few things irritate me as much and virtually nothing irritates me more. Loosing out or missing out is worse to me than overpaying because I am left with nothing. Overpay for something and you still have the item. Just my 2 cents. Good luck....... I hope you don’t miss out.

westsailpat

That's what i'm thinking K let him sit on them for a while , i'm in no hurry . Moderatemixed that a nice thought , you Canadian's are cool cats , only problem is the other day my Karma ran over my Dogma .

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Hi Mark,
go to him with 300 cash in a month when the legs are still for sale- he may have a different attitude

10D is the lathe model #
the digits following the 10D are the part#

Glenn Brooks

Well, these legs are sort of an outrageous price. Problem is - these old style cast iron legs are highly sought after by antique dealers, and furniture makers. They make retro tables with them. Very popular in upscale homes and settings. The market has been going strong for this sort of thing for a number of years now - much to our machinist world detriment.

If you really want them, make an offer and see where it goes. Otherwise, I like the early comment - the universe will provide in some other way!

Good luck!

Glenn

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
Mark,

10D-441 is the Atlas casting number and finished part number for each of the legs. The top board is 10-442-36 through 10-442-54. I do not have the part number for the shelf. In 1943, the model number of the complete assembly was 10D-441B. Which doesn't seem right but that's what the catalog shows.

westsailpat

Thanks guys , I wonder if these 10 D legs are the same as the ones that were available for Atlas 618 ?

Silverbullet

See what there going for on eBay then the advance deal to see what others payed. I'm looking for a set too but no money only I want them for my planer . I'm hating this pain keeping me down. Ill find them sometime after I make my on from box or channel iron.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
Mark,

I cannot say for certain that the cast iron legs themselves are not the same, although they are probably different. But the part numbers of the full set (2 legs, top board, shelf board, and motor or countershaft mount) are quite different. The 6" stand part number is M6-800A. For the 10" the numbers are 10D-442A, B, C, D and 10F-442A, B, C, D. The A/B/C/D refers to the four standard bed lengths. The D means vertical countershaft and the F Horizontal. So I would bet that the castings are different.

westsailpat

Doubleeboy

Active User
If it were my situation I would head down to the steel yard buy 100 dollars worth of thick wall steel tubing and weld up something far superior, with tabs for adding shelves or what ever I wanted. Then again if those are really your pet flavor, suck it up and pay the bill. As far as steam punk go those legs don't even look that cool to me, nothing fancy or very retro about them, rather utilitarian looking to my eye.

westsailpat

Hi Mark , D, yes a home made bench would be perfectly fine , except for one thing (for me at least) I'm a vintage type guy . Yes sir re all things vintage and factory for me , well at least when I can afford it and it becomes available .

Last edited:

Bob Korves

Hi Mark , D, yes a home made bench would be perfectly fine , except for one thing (for me at least) I'm a vintage type guy . Yes sir re all things vintage and factory for me , well at least when I can afford it and it becomes available .
Make some legs that work and wait for a sweet deal on factory ones?

.LMS.

Lathe Noob
Barter. Offer to turn some stuff on your lathe that could be sold as steam-punk parts, and trade it for the legs.

westsailpat

Hi Bob, that's exactly what I did and yes I'm waiting for the factory ones . I won't bore you with my dismal financial situation (it's not that bad) but come late March 18' I will be getting my SS and I don't mean stainless steel . Yes I can see it now original tooling for the Craftsman 6" will be filling my little work space , I have my sites set on a spindle collet set up , a steady rest , a taper attachment and those factory legs . The one thing that I want that is not original is a AXO wedge tool holder from LMS , I have to draw the line somewhere . The lantern tool post is just to much of a PITA . Here is a pic of the stand that I came up with to hold me over in tell those factory legs fall in my lap , it's a Harbor Freight stand and I made the wood table top and motor shelf .

Attachments

Bob Korves

Your current legs look just fine to me, Pat. Form follows function. Lathes are far more useful tools than fine art, in my mind. Those legs will come along when you are least expecting them to, and probably for $10-20 if you just be patient while you continue looking. Want and need are not at all the same thing...

Lordbeezer

Not trying to hijack thread.guy came and looked at a Seneca falls 12"lathe I have for sale.he took pictures of legs.texted.5 minutes later he got a call.put it on speaker.designer in L.A. Offered him 1000.for legs plus shipping.he offered 500 for legs..leave the rest...couldn't do it...he buys all he can.sends to L.A. That's messed up to me..Mark,,if you want legs better get them before their in someone's kitchen..

kopeck

I agree with Bob, I think you have a very nice setup there. I if you are going for "stock" then wait and see what comes up.

K

Bob Korves

I agree with Bob, I think you have a very nice setup there. I if you are going for "stock" then wait and see what comes up.

K
The steampunk fad will eventually fade (I hope soon!), and then whatever they have not butchered will be available at scrap prices or less...

kopeck

Not trying to hijack thread.guy came and looked at a Seneca falls 12"lathe I have for sale.he took pictures of legs.texted.5 minutes later he got a call.put it on speaker.designer in L.A. Offered him 1000.for legs plus shipping.he offered 500 for legs..leave the rest...couldn't do it...he buys all he can.sends to L.A. That's messed up to me..Mark,,if you want legs better get them before their in someone's kitchen..
*sigh*

I bet it's just another bubble. I'm into antique tractors. When i started out you could get the machines and the parts very reasonably, combine that with how easy they were to work on and it's a great hobby that you can use at the end of the day. Then in the mid-2000s they got collectable, all of a sudden completely worn out iron was being treated as gold and the parts went though the roof. A lot of guys made a fair amount of money. A few years ago the market started correcting it's self. I think prices are pretty fair now, not as good as they once were but still with in reach of normal folks. I suspect this will be the same.

K

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that the top board is original. Nor probably the bottom board. Too thin and too wide. The legs could possibly be Atlas.

I would call the seller and ask him whether he will look on the inside of the legs for a cast-in number that may end in -441.

And I would try calling Clausing and ask them whether or not they have any Atlas part numbers still in their computer system ending in say 440 through 445 and beginning with 9-, 10- or M6-. or those prefixes plus a letter between A- and D-. And if so, what the name or description is. We know that 10-442 is the drawing number for the wood top board for the four lengths of 10" stands (and most likely for the 3/8" bed 12") because we have that drawing.

westsailpat

Hey richl , that is a nice machine you found there and for $60. a unheard of deal in my parts . I would be willing to say that the scroll saw was made by Dunlap the makers of the Craftsman 109 . If that saw was in my area I probably would buy it just for the legs like you say . But then on the other hand I would most likely restore it legs and all because I could use a scroll saw . Thanks for the heads up , Mark .

5 7