[How do I?] Im looking for recipe for ahome brew cutting/drilling/coolant fluid

Yes i thought that too i think im trying wash liquid (diluted) then mixed with used cooking oil....... I've jst mixed some up but its 19.00 hours here so will leave it overnight and see if it remains mixed then give it ago tomorrow morning

To others who are reading this, the secret is to mix the detergent in water first and then add the oil a little bit at a time to get it into solution. If you try to add the detergent solution to the oil, it won't work they'll separate over time, and if you throw the oil in the detergent solution all at once, it's not likely to work either.

I tried the cooking oil on flood cooling, it left a mess that once dried nothing would dissolve
straight purple stuff just made it flexable enough to scrub off with a stiff brush and a lot of work. it is still on some of my equipment
steve

Cool Tool spray mist solution works fine for me, just using it mixed up and put in spray bottles.

I mostly use straight mineral oil for turning and for milling I use water/oil emulsion flood. The mineral oil works fine and is available from the grocery at a cheap price and is easy on my hands.

I tried the cooking oil on flood cooling, it left a mess that once dried nothing would dissolve
straight purple stuff just made it flexable enough to scrub off with a stiff brush and a lot of work. it is still on some of my equipment
steve

OT. Try the oven cleaner that works at room temperature. It has worked to remove years of grime from old machines for me.

I mostly use straight mineral oil for turning and for milling I use water/oil emulsion flood. The mineral oil works fine and is available from the grocery at a cheap price and is easy on my hands.

Does it have a brand name? I've only ever seen it in the pharmacy section where it's packaged in small quantities for use as a laxative.

I have visions of getting very strange looks if I go and ask for a gallon of the stuff. :rofl:

M

used motor oil is a bad idea! First motor oil is the opposite of a cutting fluid, it prevents the steel rings from cutting into the cylinder walls. I have used it in an emergency for tapping and drilling and it is just a little bit better than nothing. The second reason used motor oil is bad is that it is contaminated. You do not want to be breathing hot used motor oil vapors. I use WD-40 as well for cutting aluminum, but do remember that Kerosene and WD-40 are just about equal in flamability. Use common sense.

I don't remember the name of the stuff, but it comes in about a 16 oz plastic bottle and I put it on with a small acid brush so it doesn't take a whole lot. I find it on the pharmacy isle in the grocery store and it's pretty cheap. I pour it into a plastic rattle can paint lid (the ones without the vent in the top) and brush out of that.

Back