Igaging Dro

chuckorlando

Registered
Registered
I have seen these kits a few times. I was wondering just how accurate they were? Has anyone checked them against a decent indicator?

They seem like a nice little deal for basic movement reading

I put a 24" scale on my Mitutoyo height gauge that had the dial indicator broken. I compared it to another height gauge I have and it was spot on & repeated. I have since removed it and installed it on my Bridgeport & am in the process of mounting them on the remaining axis' today.
So far they get 2 thumbs up

Charley

I have seen these kits a few times. I was wondering just how accurate they were? Has anyone checked them against a decent indicator?

They seem like a nice little deal for basic movement reading

They can be helpfull. I have the accupro on my lathe. I had an igaging also But like the accupro better. The display turns off on the igaging and I have to keep turning it back on...the accupro stays on once turned on so I just have to buy more batteries when I forget to turn it off (accually batteries last a long time)(get them off ebay cheap).
They are pretty much reference only then use the marks on your wheels. I have the glass scales on my mill and these are nothing like those.
Got mine from Dave (on this site) find his add in the classifieds(best price I found)
If you're gonna use coolant you're gonna need a shield to keep them dry. Once wet they just start counting continuously....wipe down..apply wd-40 and they will work again after a few min.

rgray; If you're gonna use coolant you're gonna need a shield to keep them dry. Once wet they just start counting continuously....wipe down..apply wd-40 and they will work again after a few min.[/QUOTE said:
good information to share. thanks very much. . .

I got a set of these from DavidH on my lathe. Perfect for my needs. I made them to be quickly removable if things ever really need to get messy. Indeed, if they get wet the sensor goes whacky but, comes back to life once you blow and air dry them. This would be unacceptable in most cases but I'm willing to deal with it. If I had to take a guess, they're only accurate +/- 2 to 3 thou over their full length. The scales flex quite a bit and that introduces error. When I run the compound or carriage to a position and back, it's usually off a few thou... It's still fine for 95% of everything I need to do on a lathe. When I really want something dead on, I pull out the big guns (good quality mics and calipers).

I think these are a great alternative for people on a tight budget or for folks with machines where DRO is overkill. I am glad DavidH is taking care of us with good prices and decent quality. I like doing business with someone that has skin in the game.

Ray

If I had to take a guess, they're only accurate +/- 2 to 3 thou over their full length. The scales flex quite a bit and that introduces error. When I run the compound or carriage to a position and back, it's usually off a few thou..
Ray

I noticed a little flexing and figured that was introducing some error. I thought of mounting them by drilling a hole in the end of the bar, and attaching to a post that had a some kind of ecentric that would pull tension on the bar.
Might be over kill, but may cut the error.
Hardened stainless is tough to drill, but I managed it on a set of calipers once with a carbide bit.

I haven't checked mine with an indicator but they're spot on with the marks on the wheels. If they're a couple thou off over 24" who cares, I don't make parts that big anyway. They're more accurate this this amateur machinist is or likely ever will be.

I noticed a little flexing and figured that was introducing some error. I thought of mounting them by drilling a hole in the end of the bar, and attaching to a post that had a some kind of ecentric that would pull tension on the bar.
Might be over kill, but may cut the error.
Hardened stainless is tough to drill, but I managed it on a set of calipers once with a carbide bit.

Hope you didn't get the wrong impression... I'm not knocking these units at all. They are fine for a lot of people for a lot of things. Their stated accuracy is (depending on what literature you read) +/- 0.001". I think that's how accurate the tracking head can operate but speaks nothing about the method of mounting and flex. Since I have a set of these and have looked things over carefully, they seem to work within +/- 2 or 3 thou for most things. -And for most things, that's good enough.

Higher end DROs have stated accuracy of 0.0002 or 0.0001" inch. That's a joke really. For all practical purposes, no lathe or mill that anyone here can afford is going to produce finished quality in those tolerance ranges. In cases where things are really critical a homeshop machinist will only need to get within +/- 0.0005". For all my general purpose work, I aspire to keep things within +/- 0.00075 (or better). If you practice long enough, you'll find it's not hard to do. On rare occasion I really need something to be -0.0000, +0.0003 and in such cases, I rely on DRO to get me close but use the mics to finish off...

For every digit in the 4th decimal place to the right (i.e. 0.0005 vs 0.0004 vs 0.0003...), it takes about 10-20 minutes more setup time and double checking before you make the cut. In the 0.0004 and below range, you need your thermometer and expansion tables handy.

Moral of the story, for folks with vintage machines or hobby-class stuff who are drilling holes in aluminum, those Igaging DROs are fine 90% of your work. If you're making precision parts or doing gunsmith work, use good DROs, Mics and Calipers etc...

Ray

I was thinking of a set for my little lathe. I cant see paying more for dro's then I paid for the whole machine. In school we have some nice fancy dro's and I would not rely on them to get me to the number. But if it can get me close enough reliably to start mic'ing the work, thats all I need. I hate counting handles when your not even close. And if you ever bumbed the zero dial or forgot where you were at counting, dro makes things a little easier.

Thanks for taking the time

Back