If You're Feeling Old...

Charles Spencer

Active User
Registered
First off, absolutely no offense intended to our British friends. But I just had to share this.

To explain - I'm a retired National Guardsman. My regiment was founded in 1636 and was naturally quite active in the Revolution. Also, being a fan of history, I've been to a lot of places in the dear old commonwealth associated with that war: Faneuil Hall, Lexington and Concord, Bunker Hill, etc.

Just yesterday though, a guy I know posted a picture of a monument in Arlington (MA) that told a story I had never heard.

whittemore.jpg

I looked it up on Wikipedia. It appears he was "only" 78 at the time and he lived until he was 96.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Whittemore

I'm in my early sixties. The next time I'm feeling too old and tired to do some work around here I'm going to remember him and get off my lazy ass.

I'd heard this story a few years back on a History channel show.
Don't remember the show, but was amazed at the story.
If here were only more people like that today, maybe our government and taxes wouldn't be nearly as bad as they are today.

What's that ,, lend me your rears ,,,, ears ,,, something like that. Men were men but none of them didn't work manual labor for years . Even the women but most of those died earlier then men. Just struck me April 19th 1775 two hundred years after that my wife and I married. Next year ill show her this.

Last edited:
Back