Idler motor, does it matter which one?

If we did everything according to theory, we would be disappointed often. One of the frequent complaints are how noisy or loud these converters are during operation. I can't emphasize enough how quiet my system is. In fact, It could use a pilot to prevent leaving it energized. I contribute quick start, smooth operation, longevity and quiet operation to a few things to include balancing, but if you don't start off with a quality idler and lower RPM's you will be another guy claiming ALL RPC's are loud and noisy. As Keith mentioned, a motor this size has plenty of rotating mass. Stu, Ulma, Keith and now myself (again sorry) are speaking from experience not theory alone. Investigator (IN) is trying to gather information to build his RPC system, we're hoping to assist him in acheving his goal, that said, why not build a quiet system that will last a very long long time . My opinion as well as Im no expert in anything, but I can say the idler motor parameters I have shared, have been working quietly in the background since 2001. I have a backup Phoenix Phase converter (2006 model) that drove me nuts it was so freaking noisy, guess what PRM it is.....

cathead, your using a 1725 RPM motor, as well. I'm curious, if you removed the sheave it would still be quiet and easier to start. I'm thinking yes from the quality of the motor you discribed.

It would spool up faster on start up but you wouldn't have the steady RPM that the flywheel provides. I think it would
still run quietly without the flywheel but lose some smoothness in operation and load control.

interesting. So would adding a flywheel to an idler motor help with smoothness? afterall, there is that unused shaft....

Knowing absolutely nothing about electricity, when I needed 3 phases I contacted Jim at phase craft . I already had a 15 hp motor for the idler. He had me give him all of the information on the motor tag so he could build the control panel.
Once I had it installed the electrican checked the three legs and said he eas amazed in how close they matched..
I having nothing but praise for Jim and doubt I could have purchased anything better for less.
Thanks ron
Ps my idler motor is made by allis- charmers and probably weighs 300 lbs?

It would start faster, can't imagine it would run any louder although probably not as smooth running.

(Reply to Firestopper)

Back