Iding A Chuck?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I was going to start on my Colchester lathe(headstock alignment) but I just discover that the chuck has aluminum jaws that has ridges turned in it for some reason.So I need to order myself a new set of jaws but I can't find a brand on the chuck other than #2083 I look on the side of the chuck,look on the back plate found nothing.Not anything on the jaws either so I am at a loss.If someone could take alook at the pics and see if maybe they can tell what I need?Thanks guys----krollDSC03187.JPG DSC03188.JPG

You may have to search by chuck diameter, and then use the measurements where the jaws bolt on. Measure the 'rib', slot and distance between bolt holes. Chuck jaws can be fairly universal amongst similar size chucks.

Thanks Paul I will do that see what pops up.I was going to remove the back plate for cleaning but it will not budge after removing the bolts.While looking I notice some other bolts that I think is for adjusting the back plate.Is this true what is the purpose of this?DSC03189.JPG

Well guys I think I found it,I type in 2083 which popup was a Buck 8" over on ebay which has a price of 775.00. Now that I think I have the brand,now maybe I can find some jaws.
s-l1600.jpg

buck are good quality chucks
you shouldn't have much trouble finding hard jaws
but you might wanna keep the soft jaws.
you could turn them 180* in the event that you'd want to grip something larger in diameter and don't want to mar the work

kroll,

Your chuck is designed for American Standard tongue and groove jaws. You should not have a problem finding a set of hard jaws. Any industrial distributor should be able to get them for you. In fact, they are on eBay at times. A good name set should be under $100. They do not have to be the Buck brand!
Your over there by Houston, go see C W Rod, they should have them on the shelf. And ask them for my discount!

BTW- That is a Buck Adjusta True chuck you have there. You will like it once you get a set of top jaws for it! It'll let you dial in your work just like a four jaw but with 3-jaw operation. Nice and sweet, provided some one hasn't trashed it out! That's all I use on my main lathe. Ken

The picture shows soft jaws, in common machine shop nomenclature the part in the chuck with the scroll are called master jaws, these will have been paired with hard top jaws when new. The grooves and steps in the soft jaws are machined in place to hold work and do not mean that they are damaged, when new they look like this.
https://tools.cromwell.co.uk/images/854_854/g/jeeps/490/ken4905740k.jpg

When soft jaws are turned in place very good accuracy and repeatability may be achieved, they may also be recut before every part is turned. Also they are inexpensive so many sets may be kept.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/76553791

Thanks guys for the replys and links,now that I have alittle more knowledge about this chuck I think I will purchase a set of soft jaws then look over on ebay try to find a harden set of any brand that will fit.I did check Shars which is their top of the line brand was 250.00 which is way out of my league for this hobbyist.
Its will be nice to have the fine adjustment on a chuck so that can dial something in perfectly,thanks for that information.Ken thank you for offering to let me use your name to purchase jaws.Sometimes I do go towards town so I will look them up,thanks for that info.The smile has come back----kroll:D
I forgot,I will keep these soft jaws so that I can use them for a custom fit,that is neat

Kroll, I haven't bought anything from C W Rod in almost 15 years. If Ken Rod is still there, he would be the only one who would know me and my brother's. We were referred to as the Stokley brothers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the replys and links,now that I have alittle more knowledge about this chuck I think I will purchase a set of soft jaws then look over on ebay try to find a harden set of any brand that will fit.I did check Shars which is their top of the line brand was 250.00 which is way out of my league for this hobbyist.
Its will be nice to have the fine adjustment on a chuck so that can dial something in perfectly,thanks for that information.Ken thank you for offering to let me use your name to purchase jaws.Sometimes I do go towards town so I will look them up,thanks for that info.The smile has come back----kroll:D
I forgot,I will keep these soft jaws so that I can use them for a custom fit,that is neat
When new the hard top jaws are ground with the mating master jaws and numbered, I would consider a hobbyist fortunate to purchase a scroll chuck with 2 part jaws, turn the soft jaws for the job at hand and you will not have to start a thread called "Chuck Runout"

Back