Identifying which model of Wells-Index I have?

gr8legs

Active User
Rest In Peace
I have a Wells-Index mill with a Hurco KMP-3 CNC controller and servos cobbled onto it. Seems like a very well done arrangement for it's vintage (Early 1990's maybe? Not really sure) but there is no nameplate visible on the mill to figure out what model it started out as.

Where should I look or what dimensional specs would I need to determine the model number?

Thanks in advance

Stu

If you can post some pictures it might help to track it down. The table size is a good starting point. Then variable speed or change belt? Column shape is another indicator. Motor HP is another indicator, but yours may have been re-powered. I don't know how many models they made, but it can't be that many.

My Wells Index has all the model info serial number etc. on the INSIDE of the electrical box low on the right side of the machine. Strange placing, but i guess it don't get damaged.

Karl

Following up with some pictures of the mill -

Table size is 9" x 48", 2HP motor.

I'm going to see if I can figure out how to post a picture or 2 of the beast.
Mill_1_LR.jpg

I had to re-size the image as the upload dialog said my original file was 400K too big - I hope this is viewable...

And here's another one, a bit closer to the business end:

No, I guess not - I've exceeded my upload limit again. I'll have to check the FAQs and see how this works...

Anyhow - there's one pic, can anyone tell me what model Wells-Index it is?

Thanks in advance

Stu

And maybe if I figure out the uploading bit I can post the shop pictures I took after cleaning the place up a bit.

Mill_1_LR.jpg

Stu, Maybe this will help you get the pictures down to a more manageable size. 640 x 480 is normally plenty big for web use. That's a nice looking machine, we would love to see more.

If you are using Google Chrome, here is a free plugin to resize images. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...esizer/bficingcnodlbbildpbnjdgcmbipgnbi?hl=en

Image resizer for Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image-resizer/

I can't find anything useful for Internet Explorer, maybe it's built in. (does anybody actually use IE?)

Back