Identify This Sensitive Press.

TopRamen

Registered
Registered
I found this at a thrift store yesterday, and they had it marked $50 but when I acted like I was going to walk the girl said "Special half off today", so I did'nt have to hurt my head over it. It weighs about 70-80 lbs eith that steel slab it is bolted to, so I had to go move my vehicle closer to load it up. It looks to be missing a few parts, like the quill lock. and whatever must have covered the top of the quill.
I'de sure like to know who made it. I might find something if I remove the steel base it is mounted on, but I wonder if any of you good folks may know. My Goolgle-ing for images of sensitive presses and Watchmaker's Drill Presses yielded no similar items.
I've posted it at OWWM and they have not recognized it yet either.

Sensitive Drill Press #1 2016-11-03 001.JPG

Sensitive Drill Press #1 2016-11-03 010.JPG

Sensitive Drill Press #1 2016-11-03 002.JPG

This Paint 2016-11-03 001.JPG

A little bit of an update.

I can't have it just sitting there collecting dust, and no one on the other forums has seen one either, so it has been put into service in my shop for light duty work like polishing small stuff or a little wire wheel for detailed rust removal in tight spots.

I found a ball for the feed lever that was a perfect match on an old inversion table, and made a quick and dirty belt guard for it from sheet metal.

Sensitive press update 2016-11-24 002.JPG

The Motor from it works but needed a new cord, and will be used with my Walker Turner Polishing Head, so for now it sports a Craftsman 1/2 hp 1750 rpm. motor, but I'm fixing up a GE 1/8th hp from 1942 for it. That motor jest needs a good cleaning, but runs if you start the shaft spinning by hand.

The motor that came with it has oiler cups on it, makes me wonder if its supposed to be run upright like that?

Its even got one that looks to point almost straight down when mounted pulley up

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Oh, very cool find, and you did exactly what I would do. "Press" it into service

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OOOPs! Forgot about this Thread!
It is a "Duro Metal Pruducts" "General Purpose Drill Press". and they just decided to do there own thing, thus the goofyy Gumby one-piece cast frame with now table adjustments.

The machine as it is supposed to look can be found on the Vintage Machinery Website or by searching out my Thread at the OWWM site.

It's a pretty cool Press, and I'll use it for good.

Oh, and yeah, that was never the original Motor, Chuck, or the parts it was missing.
It needs some work, and will not go back to stock looking, but it will be a very healthy Press indeed.

Last edited:
Back