Identify a lathe toolpost with reverse dovetail?

mike944

Registered
Registered
Hi everybody, i need help identifying a lathe toolpost. compared to most of the common toolposts, the dovetail is reversed. The male portion is in the toolholder, and the female half is the part on the lathe.

It's not the best toolpost. Clamping toolholders requires an allen wrench, but when it's tight, it's really tight. But, i already have it. Saves me from buying another complete toolpost.

I want to get some more toolholders for it. Yes, i know i can probably make them, but i have other projects that i want to do, rather than making tools.

There's no markings on it to indicate manufacturer. It's nicely black-oxided, so i suspect it's professionally-made, not shop made.

Anyone know who makes this?

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

Does the tool holder use the large knurled screw to push up off of the compound?
How does it clamp? Looks like there it might tighten with a fastener off the other side of the post body.
I've no idea who might have made it. Sorry, just appreciating the design and its strengths and limitations.

Daryl
MN

The knurled knob is for setting height.

I didn't get a photo of it, (it's on the opposite side) but it clamps using a regular allen screw to close the dovetail

Could be off an imported lathe, from Italy or Poland even German. Many of those lathes came with lots of extras, if you look at some tool sales in Europe they show every extra with them and it's loaded. By chance I watched a few and a milling machine had rotary table, dividing head , vise hold downs. Everything

Good idea, but no dice.

It's a "Lathemaster", I'm pretty sure it's from the far east, not Europe. Photos i found online show a turret toolpost. not what i have.

I used a similar holder when employed at the long beach naval shipyard it was called a kirklie block still see them on ebay made a set for my small lathe at one time bill

I think there is a good chance that it is shop made.

The design is identical to the QCTP system sold by Harbor Freight for their 7x lathes.

Back