Ideal Tooling For Burke #4 In Horizontal Mode

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all,

Thought I would start this thread to ask specifically about the best tooling to use with the Burke in horizontal mode. being a novice with this machine, I would like to learn about the optimum style and size of cutters and arbors to use.

As FYI, I have a few miscellaneous small shell mills and a bunch - more than 15- slitting saws all with a 1" diameter arbor. Also have one 3/4" arbor, but no cutters to fit. Finally, for Some odd reason, I have several 3" shell mills with 1 1/4" hole, but no 1 1/4" arbor! All this stuff came with the machine.

So why do people use different size arbors on the Burke? And what sizes arbor and cutters would you recommend I concentrate on acquiring to have decent general, all around horizontal milling capacity.

Thanks very much,

Glenn

Hey Glenn , I have no idea why one would use multi sized arbors . Unless you had some really nice cutters with different size holes . The larger size arbors would be needed if you needed the spacer and cutter stack longer . One cutter I found useful on a horizontal was a large face milling cutter . It was great for squaring up a block . Another useful piece of tooling is a adjustable spacer for the arbor , but you would really only need that if you were going to use two cutters at the same time and you needed to have the distance between the two precision . Do you have a vertical mill ? If you don't than I would get a angle plate and mount a vice to it and then run a drill chuck in the spindle so you can drill and bore holes , and also get some end mill holders . Then you will basically have a vertical mill on it's side . Just my 2 cents . Hope you can use some of that .

Last edited:
Thanks WestsailPat, what diameter is the large face mill you mentioned above? I do have a vertical mill - two actually as my Burke came with the vertical milling attachment. But I like your idea of using an angle plate/vise to set up vertical work for side drilling or milling on the machine.

Glenn

Glenn,

I search for cutters to match the arbors that I have. If you have different size arbors that will open up what cutters you can get for cheap.
What size arbors do you have for your Van Norman 12? I've never used a Burk but I have to wonder if it has the power to make (good?) use of your 3" face mill. You might need to reserve that one for your VN.

So far no arbors for the VN. It was kind of a rescue dog situation. The PO took it in as payment for shop rent and it didn't have any tooling when I bought it. So have been looking on eBay but to no availe. Probably try my hand at making one or two when I get the VN back in operation.

Thanks for the advice about the 3" cutter. I've been wondering what size the Burke was designed to handle.

Glenn

Glenn,

Don't misunderstand me, I don't know what size of cutters the Burk will handle well. I know, that my VN22L, knows when a 3" shell mill is aggressively cutting into some tough steel. On the other hand, some tool geometry is better suited for lower power machines and can make a lot of chips in no-time.
(are there photos of your locomotives on-line?)
Mike

Hi Glenn , to answer your question about the size of the face mill as I recall (because this was a while back) it was fairly large about 8" dia. and lots of inserts . It was insanely expensive , and the machine it's self was a big one ( I forget the number but it was a Cincinnati) but it made short work excess stock . Because we are hobby machinist , IMO I wouldn't really need anything like that or if I was going to tool up for what we are talking about I would think that your 3" face mill is perfect . Also IMO because you asked about what size cutters to get I would say that you don't need anything large . But it really depends on the type of work you will preform . So I'm just talking in general . One other thing to consider HSS cutters are expensive to resharpen . I would really like to see more pictures of the Burke and the vert . head . Thanks .

IMG_0384.JPG IMG_0418.JPG IMG_1061.JPG IMG_0507.JPG

Hi Mike, here's a couple of pics of my loco's. The first pic is a side view of Albert Campbell's 4-4-0. He made the castings in 1902-03. The second is an 1950 Ottaway I bought it last fall. The Campbell needs some restoration - mostly freeing up the drive chain from having sat in storage for 115 years, and a new paint job. The last photo is The Ottaway again, as it was originally named 'Cinder Ella', operating up in Everett in 1974- it made the Sunday Magazine as a local news article. Cary Stewart a Rway historian and collector sent me scans of the news clipping last winter. Both loco's are 12" gauge and coal fired. The Ottaway is pretty much in running order, but also needs new livery, as it had been sitting a couple of years before the PO decided to,part with it.

Iam more or less spending most of time this year preparing the right of way to lay a small bit of track - around 500' or so - so I can run them, once refurbishment is complete. Also been slowly putting my Dalton lathe and The Burke and Van Norman mill together so any parts and machine work I might need to make can be done on period equipment. Lots of projects, not enuf time - a big juggling act sometimes. But plenty to do and always something interesting to work on.

Ive started a write up on the Campbell locomotive over on the Chaski Forum in the Railroading page. Maybe there are some additional pics over there.

Glenn

Last edited:
View attachment 137726 View attachment 137722 View attachment 137720 View attachment 137721 View attachment 137720

Hi Mike, here's a couple of pics of my loco's. The first pic is a side view of Albert Campbell's 4-4-0. He made the castings in 1902-03. The second is an 1950 Ottaway I bought it last fall. The Campbell needs some restoration - mostly freeing up the drive chain from having sat in storage for 115 years, and a new paint job. The last photo is The Ottaway again, as it was originally named 'Cinder Ella', operating up in Everett in 1974- it made the Sunday Magazine as a local news article. Cary Stewart a Rway historian and collector sent me scans of the news clipping last winter. Both loco's are 12" gauge and coal fired. The Ottaway is pretty much in running order, but also needs new livery, as it had been sitting a couple of years before the PO decided to,part with it.

Iam more or less spending most of time this year preparing the right of way to lay a small bit of track - around 500' or so - so I can run them, once refurbishment is complete. Also been slowly putting my Dalton lathe and The Burke and Van Norman mill together so any parts and machine work I might need to make can be done on period equipment. Lots of projects, not enuf time - a big juggling act sometimes. But plenty to do and always something interesting to work on.

Ive started a write up on the Campbell locomotive over on the Chaski Forum in the Railroading page. Maybe
The pictures look like RR round house I would sneek into to see all the engines and cars in stages of repair. The men didn't care that I was there, just stay out of the way and watch out for the yard bulls. The guys even warned me a few times when the bulls were coming.

Back