Id On Some Misc. Tooling

RHayes

Registered
Registered
Received a bucket of misc. tooling from someone that is moving. I assume the aluminum bushings were all fabricated to protect items held in chucks. I have a pretty good idea of how the Yuasa NEWS collett closer is used and the 5c collects. They are a bit rusty and Im sure somewhat compromised.

The tapper with #2MT, angle blocks, misc. tool bits, fly cutters and slitting saw/arbor are pretty straight forward but what the item in second photo with lever and knurled threaded rods is for, I haven't figured out.(to right of chuck keys) Any Suggestions?

Collets.jpg colletts+.jpg

That's a turret stop. Usually found with a 4 way tool post so you can set stops in -Z- independently. One position for each tool. Turret lathes have a similar setup that rotates with the turret and makes sure you don't forget to change it. I can't tell you what lathe that is for, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone recognizes it.

what the item in second photo with lever and knurled threaded rods is for, I haven't figured out.

Looks like an adjustable carriage stop for a lathe

There is a "V"in the casting that might hook over the bed. The guy acquired an Atlas lathe that he never used.

A better photo of the "v". Would be nice no get this to someone who had the lathe.

carstop.jpg

Nice tools! For anything that is rusted, first wire brush off any heavier loose rust by hand, then remove any oil or grease on them with solvent or other degreaser. When dry, submerge them completely in Evaporust overnight. Take them out, rinse them off with water, scrub them with a brush, blow dry and then oil them well. I use ATF. If any still show rust, put those back in for a day or so. You may be amazed at how good they look and function after that treatment. Actually, nothing in the photos you posted looks like it has significant rust that would cause accuracy or functionality issues.

Last edited:
That carriage stop looks like it would work on my 10L ,would you want to part with it

Bob, never used Evaporust but think I will get some.

Derrick, here is a quick sketch of the base of the carriage stop.

turret stop.jpg

That would work , the clamp plate shouldn't be a prob to make. I made a single carriage stop but indexable mo better. If you decide to part with it shoot me a number or if you need some larger size US drills we could trade I'll do the donation

Back