ID of this Bridgeport?

hustlebird

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Was hoping to get some help in identifying this bridgeport I recently bought. Serial number is 13054, which would indicate a 1951 build. The previous own said he bought it from a mil-surplus auction, he thought it was from Georgia, but couldn't remember. Bought it as it is about 25 years ago.

Whats confusing is the head. It has this dovetail, but not the ram-rod style. He said it originally had a 42" table on it, but he replaced it with the 36 that's on it now, about 15 years ago. Appreciate if anyone has any information. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5079.jpg
    IMG_5079.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5080.jpg
    IMG_5080.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5082.jpg
    IMG_5082.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
you have a M-Head
i used one just like it for many years making one off and short run reproduction parts for obsolete meat processing machinery
the one i used had a MT2 spindle

I would think the dovetail ram is superior to the usual version - at least in terms of rigidity.

Last edited:
The dovetail on that ram looks huge or maybe that's because of the size of the m-head sitting on it. The m-head came in 3 collet types Morse taper #2, Brown & Sharpe #7 and Bridgeport b2. The b2 is the hardest to find and usually expensive.

The dovetail on that ram looks huge or maybe that's because of the size of the m-head sitting on it. The m-head came in 3 collet types Morse taper #2, Brown & Sharpe #7 and Bridgeport b2. The b2 is the hardest to find and usually expensive.
Good to know. This M-head is a MT2 type. I dont know what to make of the dovetail. I've never seen a bridgeport like it, especially not one from 1951. Hoping someone on here might know more about it.

Back