I Weep For The Future....

I don't know about all the group here, but I hate watching stuff like this. Yea I watched it and before the leg came off I stopped it....

I don't know about all the group here, but I hate watching stuff like this. Yea I watched it and before the leg came off I stopped it....

The kid was fortunate, it didn't appear to actually do any damage to him. His buddy was pretty fast on the E-stop. Had it been too graphic it would not have been allowed on the forum.

It wasn't stupidity so much as a challenge to authority that threw him over the lathe. Before you are allowed in the shop you are given a long list of safety briefings, warnings and shown videos ad. nauseum. He clearly thought he was above all that and challenged the authority of the teacher. To make matters worse, there would have been no instant and permanent dismissal from the class / subject / college, yet if he had been hurt they would have had the teacher's licence and the teacher would finish his working life as a roofer or septic tank drainer. Ask me how I know...

Paul.

Paul, how do you know? you said to ask.
Mark

I worked as a teacher for years with quite a few talented and dedicated teachers. Some of who were dismissed from their profession through no fault of their own. 3 allegations (irrespective of wether these were correct or not) meant they lost their teaching licence, rendering their 4 year bachelor degree useless.

One of my friends who has since passed away had to work building fences as he was dismissed from service though 3 allegations that were proven to be false. There were NO consequences for the students who lied in court yet he lost his job. This is compounded if the students do somthing stupid like we witnessed in the video. This was one of the reasons why I left teaching and went into education of adults in the oil industry.

Paul.

When I first started entertaining the idea of buying a lathe I made a point of letting my son watch a few "lathe accident" videos on youtube. I'm not trying to terrify him, I just want him to know the consequences of screwing around with a machine. My son is a good boy with much common sense, BUT he has also been raised in a world full of safety devices. Air bags, seat belts, warning labels etc..... He sometimes just assumes things are safer than they are. No offense to the younger generation, but I think 20 may be the new 15 when it comes to common sense. The kids today are sooooo much smarter than I was at that age, but tend to need their hands held just a little longer than my generation. People live longer than ever now, so I guess it all balances out. My 2 cents. Thanks for the video. I'll make sure the boy see's it.

When I first started entertaining the idea of buying a lathe I made a point of letting my son watch a few "lathe accident" videos on youtube. I'm not trying to terrify him, I just want him to know the consequences of screwing around with a machine. My son is a good boy with much common sense, BUT he has also been raised in a world full of safety devices. Air bags, seat belts, warning labels etc..... He sometimes just assumes things are safer than they are. No offense to the younger generation, but I think 20 may be the new 15 when it comes to common sense. The kids today are sooooo much smarter than I was at that age, but tend to need their hands held just a little longer than my generation. People live longer than ever now, so I guess it all balances out. My 2 cents. Thanks for the video. I'll make sure the boy see's it.

I agree, my 22 year old nephew is very smart and he can pick up things quickly that he is interested in. He has a better understanding of computers and smart phones than I do. Which is great but we need people who like to work with their hands who can keep all the machinery repaired and build the next generation of machines. Some look to robots for future manufacturing but they seem to forget robots don't buy what they build. They just do what they are programed to do without complaining or growing old.

If be willing to bet this sort of thing has happened before and will happen again. Kids do stupid stuff plain and simple. I don't think stupid just started happening recently just the ability to record it. Some kids are idiots some are not.

And in all fairness all of us can think of some really dumb things we did. I'm not talking about the brain farts like I forgot to take a chuck key out. I mean just an all out bad idea from the start. All this said think about the first thing most of us do after we do something not to smart. That's right we look to see if anyone else saw it. So in this case maybe a little ridicule is a good thing.
Mark

Back